Chapter 7

One hundred reads guys 🥂. It doesn't seem like much but it is to me. Anyway, here's a new chapter❗Enjoy.

....her body is a vessel and if she tried to take possession of it's contents, it could end her....

*-*-*-*

Eretria was quite shaken. She hadn't left her room after the incident and kept getting flashes of it.

Great! Another collection to her nightmares.

She burned with a fever she didn't tell anyone about all night. No one had come to her room. She was thankful. She needed the time to think.

The fever was gone the next, she suspected it wasn't just a fever. A good night's sleep had done wonders to her.  She opted to go see Roman. The physician had said something about poisoning. The moment she saw the black blood, she knew it had to be poison. She rubbed her shoulder as she walked to Roman's room. But why wasn't she affected?

The door to his room was slightly ajar. She could hear voices. It seemed he was having a conversation. Her brothers. He was talking with her brothers. She leaned on the door, close enough to hear and not get detected. But then she decided against eavesdropping. She could just walk in and if it was something they wanted her to know, they'd let her know.

"She doesn't know how she did it or what got into her. She was pretty shaken afterwards."

Her hand hovered on the doorknob. They were talking about her. She couldn't bring herself to push the door open. She needed to know what Roman thought about what happened and how her brothers, whomever he was talking to, reacted to it. She was pretty confused herself.

Nothing else was said. The silence was killing her. Were they already judging her? Contemplating on what to do with her? She was pretty sure she wouldn't know what to do with her.

She took steps behind and crashed into somebody. When she turned around, she saw Wil.

"Goodness, Eretria. I'm glad you're finally out of bed." He was worried. It could be seen on his features.

"I wasn't badly injured." She said in a small voice. Had Roman told him? If he had, he wasn't showing any disapproval. "Excuse me, I'm going to leave now." She said. She was glad when Will didn't stop her. She almost thought he would. And she spoke too soon.

"Hold on." She paused and slowly turned around, cursing her luck. "The physician said Roman was poisoned." Here comes the question she didn't have the answer to, "are you okay. You weren't shot, right?"

Not exactly how she expected it. She should just lie and tell him no. That would evade some questions. But she couldn't bring herself to lie to Wil.

"I..." She didn't complete her statement when Roman's door opened widely and he stepped out. He was a little pale. He was leaning on the wall for support. Behind him, Storm stood with his hands behind him.

"I knew I heard you." He said to Eretria. "Come on in."

"You should rest more. I'll come back some other time." Eretria said. She really needed to leave.

"Wil," Storm called, "I need to talk to you." Storm said and stepped out from behind Roman.

For a second, Eretria panicked. Roman had told Storm. Did he plan on telling Wil? When she glanced at Roman, he gave a reassuring look. She watched as Storm led Wil away.

"Come on."

She followed him and shut the door behind her.

"Want to talk?"

Eretria tightened her hold around her pendant and sat on the arm chair opposite the bed. She said nothing. She had nothing to say.

"What does this mean?" Roman adjusted his shirt to show the spot where the arrow had hit him. There was a scar but that wasn't what he was talking about. Black lines ran on his chest. The bands varied in thickness and dots, interlocking with each other.

"Fire. It healed you. Burned out the poison." She blurted. Where had that come from?

Roman narrowed his eyes at her.

"Don't ask me how Roman. I'm just as confused." She said. "But please don't tell anyone about this, at least until I'm sure of what's happening to me." She pleaded. The last thing she needed was everyone demanding answers.

Roman adjested his shirt to cover the scar. "The physician had some questions when he looked at the injury. His quite old and knowledgeable. I thought it a good idea to ask him and he said something about fire magic." Eretria's eyes widened at his statement. "I made sure he wouldn't say anything. But this is really concerning." He added.

"Can I perhaps meet with him? Without anyone knowing. He might know something." Eretria said.

"That can be arranged."

Her lips trembled and Roman was just about to applaud her for how calm she was. She clearly wasn't taking it well.

"But..." he siad and she looked at him, clutching her pendant. "How come you're not affected."

"I don't know!" She bursted. Roman was shocked at first. Then he realized how bard it must be for her doing things she neither knew nir understood. She stood up and so did he. "I'm going to my room." She said in a calmer voice.

"Eretria..."

"Rest up Roman." She said, not facing him as she walked out.

Roman ran his hand across his face. He hadn't meant to upset.

Eretria leaned against her door. Deep down, she knew this was going to change her life. It won't be long before someone discovered the burnt forest. Questions will arise and she feared she wouldn't have an explanation.

But then, why had the bandits who wanted to capture them for money shot poisoned arrows at them?

Her head hurt and she buried her face in palm. She wasn't good at solving mysteries. She already had one very big to solve.

Herself.

*-*-*-*

Hey lovely people. How're y'all doing?

Eretria is a mystery, don't you agree?

But we've been left with a question. Why would the bandits shot poisoned arrows at them? What do you think?
Let me know in the comments section.
See you in the next chapter.

Loor you 😘