Chapter 5

....and as the flames consumed him, he realized he had become a part of something he utterly detested....

*-*-*-*

Damion was beyond displeased. He was livid. How could Ashton be so stupid? He knew the man sometimes thought through his arse but this was beyond stupidity. He resisted the urge to land his fist on the man's jaw.

"What the hell where you thinking?" His blue eyes glared at the green ones of Ashton who was still recovering from the fall. Damion had made sure he landed on his butt the moment he teleported them both.

Ashton stood up, dusting his brown pants. "You don't expect me to sit still when I know you her when I know she's out there." He said, walking to the desk Damion stood behind.

"Yes I do and you will."

Ashton slammed his fists on the table. "Never."

Damion bit back his anger. He was normally the calm type but when being faced with a taunting moron like Ashton, he couldn't help the way he exploded. "Your thoughts don't matter. Stay away from her." He warned.

Ashton was seething with anger. But he didn't say a word. He turned on his heels and left the room. In as much as he hated Damion, he knew better than to challenge him. He was a god for a reason.

Ashton was surprised when he opened tho door and Eva was leaning on the wall opposite it, arms crossed. "You are such a fool." She said matter of factly with a smile.

Ashton didn't say a word.

"You should know better than going to her like that. You left the poor girl confused." She said in a mocking tone.

"That has nothing to do with you."

"It has everything to do with me." Her smile vanished. "Don't even think of fucking this up. If you'll make foolish decisions, take it elsewhere." She said and left him standing in the hall.

Damion rubbed his forehead as a headache seeped in. He sat down and massage his temples. He hated being like this. He hated being vulnerable. His head hurt so much, he wondered how people could live with this.

He stood up and almost went crashing to the floor. He swayed but grabbed the edge of the desk to balance himself. How much longer? He hated how weak he felt.

The door opened and he quickly composed himself. He almost sighed when Rio walked in. From the look on his face, he could tell Rio knew something was wrong. He always did.

"You look pale." Rio pointed out.

"I have a headache." Damion said, leaning on his desk. When had he become so noticable? If Rio noticed, the others will very soon. Rio was quite observant.

Rio produced a bottle from his pocket. "Want some?" He asked, shaking the bottle .

Damion flicked his wrist dismissively. Now, he had to rely on some liquid for strength? How pathetic.

"You should swallow your pride sometimes. It's for your own good." Rio said.

"It's only a headache." He said with a scowl.

Rio raised his hand in surrender. "Fine, but if you need it," he walked to the desk and placed it next to Damion,"it's always here."

Damion stared down at the bottle like it was the most hated thing in the world. It wasn't but he hated it. He hated something else even more. The reason he was like this.

"What did you find?" He asked.

Rio stepped back. He had almost forgotten why he came here. "Right." He rubbed his hands together. "Some necromancers attacked the village. They're believed to be rebel mages. There were some casualties. There are survivors but I fear most won't survive it." Rio said.

"How many was lost?" Damion asked.

"Quite a handful. I can't put a number on it."

"And the injured?"

"By the time I got there, a few had already passed one. About fifteen of them are barely hanging on."

Damion nodded.

"Sheila will reach out soon." Rio said

"She shouldn't." Damion said with a frown. There was no way he was getting involved with an issue related to humans. Maybe getting information such as this was part of getting involved but he needed to stay informed. The world had long moved on from him but he hadn't. And he hated that he knew where this was going. Hell, there were so many things he hated.

"It's a blessing she can't come here but I doubt she'll let you rest." Just as he said that, Damion frowned. She was already doing it. Disturbing his waters now, was she?

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. With a curse, he teleported.

"Get that cheap magic off my shore."

The middle age woman clad in a navy cloak whipped around to face Damion.

"I almost believed you wouldn't show." She said, letting the tendrils of green smoke sink into her flesh.

"You should be have kept believing that and left instead of creating such a disturbance." He said and rubbed his ear. "This won't always work for you."

"As long as it works now I have no problem." She said, walking closer to him. "I need your help."

"I already know what you want but I can't help saying you're one crazy old lady to think I'd help you." He said and turned his back to her. Arms crossed behind him, he began walking to the cave ahead.

"I'm not that old." She said, falling into step with him.

"Drop all that magic and you'll be wrinkled all over. You probably won't have any teeth." He deadpanned.

"We're not here to discuss my age." Shiela said in annoyance.

"We're not here to discuss anything. I'm here to throw you out."

"Damion, it's innocent lives we're talking about here."

"I couldn't care less." Honestly, he couldn't and he wouldn't.

Sheila stood in front of him. "You can't be so heartless to let this people suffer."

"But I am Sheila. You of all people should know that." He said and walked past her but she grabbed his hand. Even through his sleeves, she could feel the cold emitting from him. He gave her a glare and she let go. She should know better than to touch him.

"I need your help to heal this people. It is a plague spread through the fire that burnt down their village. I've been trying everything but if I heal everybody who has been infected, I won't be able to hold up." She explaining, desperately grasping straws to convince Damion.

"And what exactly do you want me to do? We both know I'm no healer."

Her shoulders slumped like she hadn't thought about that but she knew all too well.

"I need your essence. You still have it even though you're a weaker version of yourself." She said, not meeting his gaze.

Damion wanted to laugh. He wanted to laugh at the irony of the situation. Was she mocking him? His essence? She was asking for something that he had almost lost, big thanks to her.

He took two steps towards her. She shivered and brought her hands to bug herself. The cold emitting from him made her teeth chatter. His eyes had darkened and she could feel every bit of his anger. No one wanted to see this side of him. To think she had disturbed him to spew such rubbish.

"Leave." He growled.

Sheila opened her mouth to say something but the cold intensified. If she stayed longer, she could probably freeze to death. Without another word she teleported and as she did, Damion fell on his knees, clutching his chest.

*-*-*-*-*

I've dragged things for long enough but the story is finally moving.

Let me know what you think in the comment section. And don't forget to vote.

Loor you 😘
Happy reading.