Chapter 10

Eretria stood in front of the mirror, eyes on the spot on her shoulder where the arrow had hit her. It was clear. Roman had been poisoned and almost died and all she got was a fever. The wound healed quickly, it definitely left her confused. But then again, if she could conjure huge flames, anything was possible, right?

She adjusted the collar of the white shirt she was wearing to cover her shoulder. Then she slipped her feet into her boots, tied her hair in a ponytail and grabbed her coat.

"I'm still against the idea. Father won't be happy to know your left the palace."

She turned to Roman who was leaning on the door.

"Since when do you care about father's orders? You've lived to break his rules Roman. And you're coming with." She said and brought the hood to cover her face.

Roman stepped into her room, wearing a similar coat. "I'm still worried. Why can't we have him over?"

"Because the walls have ears. It will be safer to talk to the physician in his own home." She fastens the strings of the coat and slipped a dagger into her boots. "You coming?"

"I can't help but feel I'm the cause of your rebellion." Roman says with a smile.

"But you are, brother. I learn from the best."

Eretria couldn't remember the last time she was in the town. She was always locked up in that big old castle, the streets was a wonder to her.

Not wanting to draw attention to herself, she had dressed like a commoner but with the coat that covered her face, people were definitely staring. And Roman just couldn't be hidden in plain sight. He was quite noticable. So much for blending in.

"This is it?" She stared at the old building which was quite isolated.

Roman nodded beside her. "It is."

The smell of herbs mixed with smoke and something else she couldn't distinguish attacked her the moment she stepped inside. She scrunched her nose as her stomach churned at the unfamiliar smell. A few single beds were scattered around the room, all occupied.

From the door at the back of the room, she could make out the figure of the physician, urging them forward. He was expecting them? Roman was ahead of her and she followed suit, eyes on the patients on the bed.

"It seems really busy in here." Roman says, removing his hood.

The physician nodded, walking to his desk which was stacked with books. "Sick and injured folks always end up here. Your highness." He added and bowed, like he had forgotten they were royalty, not like they flaunted it. If anything, none preferred the title.

Roman brushed it aside with a wave of his hand. The physician ushered them to seats in front of his desk.

"How's the injury?" He asked, glancing at Roman's chest.

"It's been healing." Roman said simply.

"Your highness?" He turned to Eretria.

"I didn't have a need for treatment."

"Right, I'm sometimes forgetful." He says and sits down. "I gathered everything I could on the case. It was rather difficult." He said, placing a hand on the books. That was a lot.

"I have some questions." Eretria said.

"So do I princess. The markings on prince Roman's chest is nothing like I've seen before. It's a sacred art of magic and I'm wondering how it ended up on him." His voice dropped low.

Eretria exchanged glances with Roman. "You won't know much about magic seeing as your a physician." Eretria said.

The physician gave her a smile. "I might be just a physician but before now I've scoured the four lands, gathering knowledge about magic and divine beings." He stood up and walked to a massive shelf Eretria realized she hadn't noticed. "It's like a family tradition. Gaining knowledge about beings we would never imagine exist. But that's what makes it all the more intriguing." He ran his hand through the books. It felt like he enjoyed gathering knowledge more than treating people.