In the evening they gathered in a large group. Everyone was there. Sonya, Aris and Harriet. Brenda and Jorge. Members of the right arm. The children they had saved from W.I.C.K.E.D. And of course the gladers.

They sat on wooden benches in a semicircle around a fire. At some point Vince spoke up and welcomed everyone here to the Safe Haven. At the end of his speech he talked about the people they had lost. And he dedicated a stone to them. J bet the boys had put him up to it. Because the boulder was supposed to have a similar function to their wall back in the glade, in which they had carved their names. Only this time they wanted to immortalize the dead.

After their celebration had been going on for a while, J joined Thomas. He was sitting on a bench a little ways away. Then Minho came up to them too. But he didn't sit down, instead he held something out to them.

"This was in your jacket pocket when you passed out, Thomas. I thought you might want it back." Thomas and J exchanged a look. Of course they recognized the thing immediately. It was Newt's chain.

Thomas reached out for it and the pendant opened. Inside was a small folded piece of paper and something was written on it. A letter? It certainly seemed that way.

"I'll leave you alone with this," Minho said and immediately left. J was unsure if she should go too. After all, her brother had given Thomas the necklace. He seemed to guess her thoughts. "Let's read it together, he was your brother."

So they both leaned over the paper.

Dear Thomas
This is the first letter I ever wrote. At least the first one I remember. Of course, I don't know if I've written any before the maze. But even if it's not my first, it will probably be my last. I want you to know that I'm not afraid. Not of dying. But losing myself to this virus that's what scares me. So I started saying their names every night. Alby, Winston, Chuck, Ben,... And I repeat them over and over like a prayer. Then everything comes back. The little things. Just like when the sun hit the glade at the perfect moment, just before it disappeared beneath the walls. I see J and the boys sitting around the fire eating, laughing. And I remember the taste of Pan's stew. I never thought I would miss this stuff so much. I remember you. I remember how you showed up in the box, just a scared little Greenie who couldn't remember his own name. But from the moment you ran into the maze, I knew I would follow you anywhere. And thats what I did. We all did that. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it exactly the same way, I wouldn't change a thing. I hope for you, for all of you, that when you look back in a few years, you will be the same. That you will still be the gladers.
The future is in your hands now, Tommy, and I know you will find a way to do the right thing. You've always done that. Take care of everyone for me. And most importantly, take care of J. I wanted to write to her too, but I just couldn't. The thought of leaving her is almost as bad as the fear of going crazy. But she still has a whole life ahead of her, even if it will continue without me. She just shouldn't do that many stupid things, just because Minho does it too. Please take care of that. And take care of yourself. You deserve to be happy. Thank you for being my friend.
Goodbye, buddy.
Newt

J had to swallow a big lump when they finished reading. But somehow it was also a nice feeling. It was a memory of Newt, of her brother, before he had become one of those Cranks.

At some point J and Thomas stood up. Minho, Pan and Gally stood by the rock to immortalize their lost friends. They had been waiting for J and Thomas for Newt's name.

When they were finished, J happily stroked the four letters. It made her feel peaceful, as if she now had a place to go when she missed her brother.

Then they went back to the others. They sat down by the fire and spent the rest of the evening in pleasant company.