Chapter 22 -You're Cruel, Sir-

"What the hell is wrong with me?" I grumble rubbing out another stencil I've drawn of the flower. I rip out the page instead of attempting to erase it and it causes an awkward silence amongst the few staff here.

"Sorry." I say, lowering my head back to the book. It's the second day I've been here and whatever I stirred up yesterday has clearly caused Professor Abel to become an unapproachable monster. Nothing happened by the way. From the second he looked down at my lips his expression contorted into guilt, as if he was caught doing something wrong, something entirely, disgustingly wrong. And then the next minute Jennie knocked on the door, allowing me to move away from, pretending to look down at my bag. We haven't spoken since then. We haven't even looked at each other properly either.

To him, what he did was absolutely inappropriate. He broke the rule by touching me, pushing me back on the door. And then the way he looked at me, he never looked at me like that before...
I shake my head, pulling myself together.

"You okay, Amaya?" I turn my head to see Drake beside me, pausing from his sketch. "You can take a break if you want."

"I'm okay, thank you. I just want to get this right, that's all."

"I get what you mean. Professor Abel is in one of his foul moods so it's best to do well before he has a go at us."
I nod my head, bringing my focus back onto the white flower. Even though nothing happened, Professor Abel has decided to give me most of the labour work as some form of punishment. He's made me do all the washing of the equipment, the moving of files and old reports. At one point, I was on the floor clearing up broken glass. It was only when I cut my hand did he briefly look up.

"That was careless of you. Wear gloves next time." He uttered with a clenched jaw. I could tell by the way the others seemingly carried besides Jennie and Drake that this must be normal for them. It was just like being back at school. If Professor Abel was having a bad day, everyone was going to have a bad day. You don't have to do anything wrong, it's the dull atmosphere that gives you a moment to think what this day has become. Alex helped me with my wounded handed, comforting me with silly jokes. I stayed silent, silently regretting for ever coming here. He was right to be angry. I was being a brat, a child.

My eyes move to the white bundle of the flowers and I'm reminded of Valentines. Those personal additions were amazing. But I got the price for it when I went home last night. My mother found them, interrogated me so harsh my brother had to come into the room.

"You're meant to be studying! Not messing around with boys!"

I argued with her, tried to reason with her and explain that it was just a misunderstanding. It was a gift, a harmless gift from a friend. That was it. However, once I mentioned that even if it was a boy, I wouldn't be stupid enough to ruin my studies because of it. That left me with a hard slap. It took me a while to cover the red mark with my concealer. I usually do my makeup light but today I had to make sure all my imperfections were covered.

"I have had enough with your mistakes and the rumours that are going around because of you. First it's the car and now this? Are you trying to ruin us?!"

She threw the roses away, but I managed to keep the violets. They were my favourite of course. It didn't stop me from crying through the night though, everything felt overwhelming. I feel I am becoming a mistake in everyone's eyes. I could see that clearly in Professor Abel. Especially now.

"Wow! That's beautiful! Professor Abel was right to put you on the illustration task. It look exactly like the yarrows!" Jennie exclaims with wide eyes.

"Why don't you go and show Professor Abel? He'll be so pleased with it!" Alex suggests, motioning to me to go see my teacher in his office. "It might cheer him up too."