Chapter 2

"So Caroline, what're you wearing to the party?" Elena's voice asks over the phone.

"I don't know yet," I admit, studying myself in the mirror wearing one of my dresses.

I shake my head, frowning, and I toss the dress into the pile of reject dress on my bed. Then, grab the next from the closet, and repeat the process.

"What about the mint blue one?" Elena suggests.

"Ooh! The little sundress with the flowers on it?" I ask, practically ripping the dress off the hanger.

"Yeah! Go with that one!" Bonnie adds encouragingly.

"Alright. So then, we're thinking white heels, and a pearl necklace, and then diamond earrings and bracelet?" I say, pulling each item out.

"Oh my God, Caroline, you're going to be the star of the party tonight. Tyler won't be able to stop staring at you," Bonnie gushes.

I smile at the thought.

"Good, cause we had a fight, and I want to make sure his eyes are on nobody but me," I say, smiling.

"Okay, my turn," Elena says, causing me to laugh as I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Are we thinking something blingy, flashy, vibrant, or simple?" I ask.

"Well, Katherine is going to be there, no doubt with Stefan attached to her hip like always," Elena says dryly.

"Ah. So, I guess eye catching it is, then," I say, sitting up.

"I know just the dress!" I squeal.

"Which one?" Elena asks.

"The short navy blue and glitter halter top with the navy blue heels, and of course, pair it with diamond earrings."

"Good choice, Care," Elena applauds.

"Yeah, that's actually a great combination," Bonnie chips in.

"Thank you! Fashion is my expertise," I say, staring at myself in the mirror again.

"Okay, last, but certainly not least, it's Bonnie's turn," Elena says.

"Well, I'm not trying to catch anyone's eye, so I might just wear something more low-key," Bonnie says hesitantly.

"Okay, how about we keep the blue theme? You have that light blue front tie mini dress, and then you can wear a black sweater if you want. Throw in the gold earrings, and the gold necklace your Grams gave you. Paired with some black high heel boots," I suggest, trying to envision it.

"Or, she could still match, and wear the white short dress she has with the ruffles tank top soeeves. You know the one I'm talking about, right?" Elena asks.

"Hm... What if I go with Caroline's option? Just because I like the thought of us all matching," Bonnie says.

"Fair enough," Elena replies.

There's a short silence.

"Hey Caroline, can I talk to you about something?" Elena says.

"Of course! What's up?"

"Elena, don't-" Bonnie starts, but she's promptly cut off.

"This thing with you and Tyler... It's going to backfire, Caroline, and it's going to hurt."

"Elena, just stop. Tyler cares about me. We're happy. He's not going to hurt me, he wouldn't do that," I say, checking the time.

An hour till the party starts.

"Caroline-" they say in unison.

"Sorry, Elena, I've got to get ready. I'll see you at the party," I say, quickly hanging up before she can get in another word.