Chapter 10

It took the first day and a half of captivity to break through the man's icy exterior, but I was determined to make the best of my time here. I was hardly treated like a prisoner. After we left Klaus and Bonnie, we fled to New Orleans, I suspected, due to the amount of time I was tied up in the back seat, and the fact that he'd referenced Klaus' beloved domain.

That's how we ended up here -- a giant mansion with acres upon acres of land, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing around as far as the eye could see. I had no hope of escape, so I just had to bide my time patiently.

I pace back and forth in my room, which was in the attic. While I was allowed to roam the property sometimes, now was not one of those times, as they were too busy to send an escort with me at the moment.

The door flies open, and in walks the mystery vampire leader from the other night. The man who's name I still hadn't learned.

"Good afternoon, sir, I'm ever so grateful to be blessed with your presence," I spit bitterly, eyeing him with disdain.

He chuckles, an amused smile playing on his face.

"My, how I do enjoy your attitude. It's... Refreshing, to say the least," the man says as he sits on one of the sofas in the corner.

"Come sit, why don't you?" He asks, though I suspected it was more of an order.

"Fine. But only because you asked nicely," I reply curtly, sitting across from him with my arms crossed.

"Why are you here anyways?" I ask, letting my curiosity get the better of me.

"Because, like I said, I want to get to know you, Caroline Forbes. I want to know everything about you," the man says simply.

I raise an eyebrow at him, as if asking him if he was serious.

"Well, I suppose it would be easier if I did the same myself. My apologies. Caroline, my name is Lucien. Let's just say I'm an... Old friend... Of Niklaus."

"Mm. An old friend, huh? What did he do to piss you off?" I ask bitterly, not sure what to expect from him.

The man paused, considering how to respond.

"We can get into all that in due time. Why don't we start slow? Tell me about Klaus," Lucien finally said, his voice surprisingly gentle.

"What do you want to know?" I ask simply.

"Everything. Why would a human like you, risk everything for him?" He asks, staring intently at me.

"Because, despite many people's objections, I've been given no reason not to trust him. He's always had my best intentions in mind so far. Plus, we have a... Complicated history."

"Complicated, you say? How so?"

"As I'm sure you're aware, Klaus Mikaelson, in his own right, is a complicated man. As so, it's hard to know exactly how you feel about him at times. He's arrogant, impulsive, and, at times, incredibly self-centered," I reply, trying my best to remain emotionless, so as not to give anything away.

"And yet, I also find that he's fiercely loyal, a surprisingly decent man at times, and... In his own convoluted way, he seems to care about me," I finish, my voice softening as memories of all the good things Klaus did flash through my mind.

Every positive memory and feeling came rushing to the surface at once.

Lucien was silent for a long moment. Then, he sighed. "Klaus Mikaelson. Always drawn to the impossible. Tell me, humans are all about love, hate, and attachments, so how exactly do you feel about Klaus?"