Chapter 1 (East Blue Saga)

"I'm gonna be king of the pirates." Rang out in Ki's mind, for what seems like the millionth time since even meeting her little brother. His wide grin shined as he straightened up from his bent position. The smoke trail dissipated into the sky from the candles she placed into the top of the cake. Ki sat the cake down, dusted Luffy off and checked him over as well as his pack.

'Today's the day.. His 17th birthday.'

Luffy laughed, "Ki come on, stop! I have everything I promise!"

Ki flicked his hat off and ruffled his hair, "Come on Luffy! You know I gotta do the big sister thing. The baby bird is leaving the nest and I just wanna make sure you'll be alright."

Luffy wrapped her in a tight hug and tucked his head under her chin, "We won't be apart long, I promise! I'll gather up a crew and a ship of my own then you'll join me, right?"

Ki sighed; a memory of Ace shot through her mind of the day he left and a wave of sadness washed over her. She quickly shook it off as she pulled away, "Yupp, you got it kid. Call me as soon as you do and I'll be there."

She helped him throw everything into his small boat and gave him one last goodbye hug for the road before shoving his boat from the dock. As the waves pulled his boat away, a mountain of water began to rise from the sea, revealing a massive sea king. She bolted to the edge of the dock, barely catching herself before she fell in, her heart raced.

"Luffy!!!''

But before she could say another word her eyes widened as he turned to look at Ki waving with that same huge smile he always had across his face. He stiffened as he turned to face the monstrous beast but still wore his smile. His stretchy arm reeled back and smashed the sea king in the face. The force knocked it back into the water with a huge splash.

Ki's mouth opened from shock and slowly formed a smile, 'Guess he will be okay after all.' "You show the world who's boss Luffy!!"

Ki waved as he drifted off in the distance; she waited until he was out of view then popped into the main house. She plopped down in the chair next to Dadan, softly rubbed her back and laid her head on the woman's trembling shoulder.

Dadan sniffled then turned to Ki, "What are you still doing here girl? I thought you were going with Luffy?"

Ki smiled and dropped her hand to the table, shaking her head, "Not yet, I gave him a little mission first. He's gotta do this part on his own, as much as I want to be there with him through every facet of his journey. There are some things he should do without the prying eyes of his older sister."

She slid the box of tissues to Dadan as she got up to finish her daily chores. Dadan blew her nose and turned to Ki sweeping the floor, "What are you gonna do about Garp? You know he's gonna keep comin' round to recruit you since you came back."

Ki shrugged, "That old man knows damn well I am not going to join the marines, even if my boys aren't here," She smirked and swung the broom like a broadsword, "He can't take me! ...Heh, he taught me too well."

Dadan smiled softly as Ki turned away from her, "Good to know you still haven't lost your edge, my little spitfire."

Ki finished up the sweeping, cooked for the night and hung the laundry on the line. Luffy left behind some of his clothes so once they were dry she folded them up and carried them to their shared room.

She flipped on the light and was taken back to the day she met him.

...

~ The old Marine chuckled to Ki, "This is your new little brother, brat,"