princess of the ton, 1

PRINCESS OF THE TON, 1

"PRINCESS APHRODITE."

HOW COULD ONE NOT TAKE FROM HER BEAUTY? Her elegance, her purest soul, her gentle voice, and her soft touch. She was a woman of not many words when it came to thee, yet she had so much and more to say when she was expressing such wrath.

   The woman, so complex yet so true, was, of course, her mother's daughter. The delightful, princess Aphrodite, is one of the youngest of her many siblings. The woman roamed the castle in silence, looking at the paintings as she did. Her dark brown, curly hair fell into a high bun, her gown of shimmering ivory satin with a lace-trimmed train flowing gracefully behind her.

The woman found herself once again seeking refuge from her mother's summons, a familiar routine that offered fleeting respite from the demands of royal life. With a soft sigh, she attempted to divert her thoughts, only to be interrupted by the footman's arrival.

   "Princess Aphrodite, Her Majesty Queen Charlotte requests your presence," the footman announced with a respectful bow before retreating.

   "Why does she always manage to find me?" she muttered to herself in the hushed corridor before reluctantly obeying her mother's summons. With measured steps, she traversed the vast expanse of the castle until she reached the royal library, a sanctuary she had grown accustomed to during the warmer months. A servant graciously opened the door for her, allowing her entry.

   As she stepped into the familiar confines of the library, her eyes met her mother's gaze, and she took a calming breath before joining her. "Mother."

   "Aphrodite." Her mother responded. There was a loud thick silence in between the short introduction before her mother took the opportunity to speak, "My dear Aphrodite, you know as well as I do the importance of appearances in our world." She paused before continuing, "The whispers of society can be as delicate as they are relentless. It is not mere gossip that concerns me, but rather the perception it creates."

  Here it goes, she'd know her mother's words before she'd say them. "Your absence from social gatherings and the absence of a suitable match... well, one must consider the implications, however unfounded they may be." Her mother looked at her for a sort of response to get nothing.

   "I do not enjoy formal gatherings." Was the only words that left her mouth, "I rather stay home with father, wouldn't you?" She blurted out, almost relentlessly.

   Queen Charlotte sighed softly, her gaze softening. "My dear, it is not about enjoyment. It is about duty. You have a role to play, not just as my daughter, but as a princess. We must ensure the stability and future of our family and our kingdom. This requires you to be seen, to be present, and to be engaged in the society that we lead." The silence only thickened as the queen only seemed to ignore the comment she made about George.