45: Signal

*December*

“I’d still rather you come with me,” Pitch spoke as he adjusted the winter cloakings over his shoulders.

“I already told you, I’ll be safe up there with them,” you eased as you stood in front of him and watched his movements.

Pitch stood with you in the lair, both of you in front of a narrow cave leading to one of the exits. The mid-December air pooled in its cool breeze that crawled down your neck. With you finding more difficulty keeping up with the Nightmare King’s travels during his usual outings with the mares recently, you thought it best to spend some time over at the Guardians’ headquarters as they were still prepping for the holiday season. It was better than sitting around alone in the lair without the mares to watch over you for him. And it was certainly better than trudging around any longer on the swollen ankles within your combat boots with the extra weight poking out under your heavy cloak that was beginning to feel like one of those puffy winter coats. However, being that you were due at any minute - and technically at least a week overdue - Pitch was not exactly the fondest of taking his eyes off of you for more than thirty seconds.

You awaited in your long cloak, your hands folded in front of where the round of your abdomen slightly showed under it all as it continued to hide a majority of your true developed form. From the front and back, you were still very much disguised as your condition went unseen. Then when looking at yourself from either side, you recently referred to yourself as a “traffic cone dressed in black,” at which Pitch was guilty of granting you a smirk that was too obvious to hold back. Nonetheless, wearing the same outfit during nearly every outing for the last four months had mostly done its job. Tucked away underneath it all to the side of your bump rested your sword hanging in its sheath from the belt at your hips.

“And you remember what I told you?” Pitch then asked.

You nodded.

“If you feel anything -”

“I will have one of the Guardians bring me back here and tell you,” you finished for him. You flashed him a reassuring smile. “I’m going to be fine!”

He studied you for a moment. The longing to persuade you to stay by him in some way was visible in his golden gaze.

Regardless, you wanted to add. Either way, plans were already in place for there to be little to worry about.

“I’ll meet you up there to bring you home later tonight,” he finally murmured. You grinned up at him.

“See you tonight.”

The King of Nightmares brought his knuckles under your chin. Within the sweetness of the moment, he leaned forward and planted a kiss upon your forehead. Though it was short, you counted it as a lovely parting ways gift before the two of you were to split up to different continents for the day. You both bid your temporary goodbyes for the next twelve hours, each of you wanting inside to meet again sooner than later.

* * *

North’s workshop provided just as much warmth during the winter months as per usual. As your husband was likely already halfway across the globe with the mares within one of the continents during their nighttime, you were safely perched in front of a countertop in a chair with enough cushioning to sink you in if you let it. What was more of a desk space rather than a makeshift island was set so you looked out toward the windows across the room to the winter wonderland of the North Pole where the light from the bright sky reflecting upon the white snow poured in. You had been offered refreshments, which you had kindly turned down out of lack of desire to add on to the light discomfort that already plagued you with the on and off ache in your core. To distract yourself instead, you had volunteered to take on a few crafts involving gift-wrapping and ribbon-making.