Magical Misinterpretations

Just as the five of them made their way back out of the forest, small droplets from the sky began to make their way into the soil. And as the droplets grew in size and numbers, the small stream formed a miniature river, increasing the size of the waterfalls threefold. A violent sight for small creatures.

It was in this moment, that two of such creatures crawled out of from the cracks in the stone; one vibrantly blue and another with a greenish glow. To passerby's they would have easily been mistaken for dragonflies, for they were about that size and each had wings that were similar. But those who were more observant would recognize that their figure was almost human like, as these creatures also had hands and feet. Their heads, however, were more like those of grasshoppers, as they appeared to have bug-like eyes and a set of long feelers.

The creatures seated themselves on a branch next to the waterfall, where their gaze fell onto the coins in the water. Then, one started to chatter to the other, which was almost like a song. The other made a humming sound in return. No human could ever make sense of what these creatures were saying to one another. But from the perspective of another faerie, what they said roughly translated to something like this.

'Can you believe these soft-skins?' The blue creature pointed at the water. Or rather, what the humans had left there.

'What is that?'

'I've seen it before. The soft-skins use it for trading goods and services.'

'Why would they throw it in the water?'

'From the looks of it, it seems that were trying to bargain with us. Or at least get our attention.' The blue creature lowered its wings as it dove into the waters. There, it swam around for a bit before resurfacing by the branch once more. 'I hear their voices, from the things. They do want something from us.'

'The audacity!' The green one raised its feelers. 'First, they litter in our beautiful pond, and now they expect us to reward them for it?'

'That's not even the worst. Come in. Listen to this.'

The green one jumped into the water, diving deep and stopping at every coin. It swam around for a bit, then went up to its green companion. 'Disgusting! How shallow, that silver one! And the copper one just reeks of jealousy.'

'The one with the house on it.' The blue one commented. 'That's just sad.'

'And that same one's just inconsiderate. What does this one think it is?'

'And all of them ask for selfish things. Typical soft-skins! They know nothing of our ways.'

'Perhaps we should educate them.'

'You mean...?'

'Teach them to desire as our kind does.'

The tiny, bug-like magical creatures looked at each other, their hues flickering fast. If a human were to witness the sight, they would probably guess that the creatures were laughing. And they would be right.

Quickly, the green one spread its wings, buzzing as it flapped them dry. And as it left off to hide itself into the coat of an oblivious Sabrina, the blue one dove under once more to collect the coins while whispering a blessing to each individual piece.