A Sudden Sensation

The first rays of sunlight crept their way through the curtains, landing on Jeremy's face. He tried to fight the day, but this and Winona's snoring dragged him further and further out of the nice dream he was having until he could do nothing else but give in to his awakening.

What time was it? He tapped the screen on his phone and concluded that it was a little before eight. Still over half an hour before their alarms would go off. He turned to conclude that Heidi was still asleep as well. Staring at the ceiling for a few minutes, he quickly got annoyed by Winona's impression of a chainsaw. Might as well get up and have some breakfast already.

Still drunk with sleep and in his pajamas, he decided it was probably a good idea to have some coffee first. Knowing the others would probably want some also, he put about five scoops of coffee in the machine and filled the reservoir well. He pressed a button, and...

'Guys?' He turned around, but knew that no one would be there. Still though, there was a presence, but none like another person. This was something different.

His mind went back to what Sabrina had said the evening before. Perhaps there was something to it after all.

The sooner we get out of here, the better. He decided, resuming to make breakfast as if nothing was wrong. He got some buns and jams, then picked a mug and waited for the coffee to finish running. Once done, he filled it up and added a little bit of milk. Seating himself at the table, he took his time eating while eagerly waiting to bask in the safe presence of his friends.

After a few minutes he figured that the coffee would be about the right temperature. Taking a sip, he dropped the cup from his hands as it shattered loudly. Pain. Excruciating pain overtook him as a sharp twang pulled hard on something in the back of his throat, like rubber bands stretched out to their furthest point in an instant.

It was over as quickly as it happened, but it was enough to make him shoot upright and wide awake. What the hell was that?! He turned his attention to the shards from his mug, figuring that he should probably clean up the mess before the coffee would soak into the floorboards, when he saw something shining in the brown puddle. A dime? Weird. Was it in the mug?

'EEEEEEEK!!!' The scream came from the bedroom.

Heidi!