Chapter 3 (East Blue Saga)

Ki ran up behind him and smacked him on the head, "Luffy!! That's so rude! I'm so sorry sir. What can we do to fix this?"

Zeff laughed, "Boy, you didn't do this just now, so quit worrying. I am pretty banged up though, so the repairs and medical bills are gonna cost ya."

Luffy nodded, "Good to know, and I don't want you to let me off the hook but I am flat broke."

Zeff chuckled, "Since you have no money, you can work here, unpaid for a year."

Ki's eyes widened and in unison they yelled, "A whole year?!" She grabbed Luffy by the shirt, "I just get here and you already get locked up for something like this?!"

Ki offered to work alongside Luffy if Zeff would cut down the time but he refused, "I don't hire women," was all he said.

Ki bubbled up in anger, "Excuse me? What the hell is that supposed to mean? You think women aren't good enough to even do your chores for you?!"

Zeff chuckled and patted her on the arm as they left the room, "Now, now girl. It is the opposite in fact, my respect for women is the reason none work in the Baratie. I gotta lay into my workers but I could never kick a lady."

Ki glared at the man, 'Not sure if that makes me feel better or more angry. Hmph, definitely more angry but I am not trying to make this situation worse than it already is. You win this round, old man!'

Luffy got dragged away to begin work while the others sat down at a table inside the restaurant. Luffy came out being his usual goofy self, which caused a bit of a scene. Nami's laughter drew the attention of the curlybrow cook, who gleefully offered her a flower as well as many flattering compliments. He also placed a fruit parfait and drink in front of her in his flirty frenzy.

Nami placed a finger under the man's chin and thanked him for everything, "But everything is much too expensive for me."

Ki sat up from her reclined position and raised an eyebrow in disgust, "I'll get her meal."

Nami made a sour face, held his face to keep his gaze and insisted that it wasn't a problem, "Right?"

The man swooned at her voice and Ki slammed her hand down on the table, "Hey blondie, what's your name?"

Sanji's attention shifted to Ki, absolutely locked in and began the same song and dance. "My name is Sanji, my lovely moody goddess!"

Ki held up a stern but polite finger, "Sanji, thank you for your kindness but you shouldn't waste it on women who will abuse it. No matter how beautiful they might appear or sound, a person who would take advantage of you is ugly on the inside."

Ki and Nami locked eyes while an unnerving air arose; Zoro and Usopp sat wide-eyed not sure how to approach either woman.

Sanji smiled, left another drink and parfait on the table for Ki then dragged Luffy away to continue work, "Not to worry, my dear! My boss wouldn't have it any other way for a pair of lovely ladies!"

Nami burst out at Ki, "What the hell was that?!"

Ki scooted the drink over to Zoro and crossed her arms over her chest, "Exactly what it sounded like."

Nami clenched her fist, "That is what pirates do! Cheat and steal! Isn't that what you signed up for when joining a crew?"

Ki shook her head, "From people who are worse than us. That deserve to be extorted, not a sweet man like that."

The redhead rolled her eyes, "Pffft. You don't even know the guy, he could be.."

Ki stopped her again, "Until he gives me a reason, he's good."