[Chapter One]: 'Only A Fool Believes All Is Well'

"'Kindness is but a curse'. 

That statement from my father from a young age stuck out to me a lot. In this day and age, people are expected to treat others with kindness and respect, and receive it back. Of course, not everyone does this. In fact, even the kindest of people can't keep it up at every given moment. But nobody's perfect, I suppose.

Why bother being kind to others when they don't deserve it? Kindness is but a curse because you establish your good morals to other people, though it doesn't necessarily mean that they are the same. When they discover somebody is kind and willing to help them no matter what, something in particular can happen. 

You become a tool."

Sitting next to a brown-haired boy with the most emotionless facial expression he had ever seen, Y/N pondered over his thoughts as he looked out the window of the bus absentmindedly, watching houses, streets and glimpses of people zoom by. Such was the privilege of sitting on the window seat.

"Excuse me... Could you give up your seat?" rang a soft and polite voice through the bus; Y/N's head turned slightly from the window so that he could look at the owner of said voice; a pretty-looking girl with short, beige hair. The person she had asked the question to was a boy with shoulder-length, blond hair, sat on a priority seat, and after spotting the old lady stood next to her, it was clear to him what was happening here. "That's a priority seat. I think you should let this elderly lady sit there." 

"A kind girl who puts others before her; it sounds fishy to me," Y/N commented as he noticed the boy next to him was also watching the scene unfold, as well as a few other people on the bus. 

"My, my, pretty girl," the blond boy spoke in one of those contemptuous, overconfident voices of the stereotypical 'rich/talented/whatever boy' you'd see in a show. And he certainly looked the role, Y/N had to give him that. "While it may be a priority seat, there is no law requiring me to relinquish it. You want me to give up my seat just because I am young?" He laughed at the sound of it. "Nonsense, pure and simple."

"A true dick, pure and simple," Y/N rolled his eyes at the person's personality also happening to fit that stereotype. 

"Even if I am young, standing consumes more stamina than sitting," he went on; he was truly a master in the art of never shutting the fuck up. "Why would I do something so detrimental with no benefit to myself?" 

"He has an understanding of the problem with this 'kindness' that people like to support; you only hurt yourself in the process, and often gain nothing in exchange," Y/N noted, gazing with intrigue. A few more eyes were on the scene. 

"I think you'd be contributing to society," the girl answered, still speaking politely. It was quite the opposite of the boy in front of her. She pointed with her eyes at the elderly woman. "And this lady seems to be having trouble staying upright."

"Yet there are those who are willing to accept losses if it means helping others," Y/N mentally sighed, not knowing how to feel about this girl. Something just felt suspicious; would someone be kind without an ulterior motive? 

"I have no interest in contributing to society," he declared. "Besides... What about those sitting in the other seats?" She glanced around at them as he continued, "The difference between priority seats and others seems rather trivial to me."

"Fair point," Y/N gave a slight nod, finding what he was saying to be a reasonable argument. 

After the girl closed her eyes in defeat, the elderly woman assured her, "Really, I'm fine." She looked down with a frown at the woman. "But thank you."