[Chapter Five]: 'I Am Inevitable'

"Hey, Kushida," Y/N greeted the girl through the phone, trying not to sound annoyed that she had called him when he just wanted to ponder on his own thoughts alone. It was their day off, after all, and he didn't exactly want to spend it with anyone when he was already doing that for most of his days now, especially not an extrovert.

"Hello!" Kushida sweetly greeted back, and he could hear her smile through the phone. "How are you?"

"Not bad, I guess. What... What about you?" he asked awkwardly.

"Doing pretty good, thanks. We're at the mall with Sakura, you know. Me and Ayanokoji," she added, since he didn't know who 'We' was.

Well, in truth, he did, because Ayanokoji had told him earlier that day that they were going out to fix her camera, much to Y/N's relief. With that in mind, he put his plans on hold and decided to let events unfold on their own. He trusted that Ayanokoji would be able to handle things on his own, since that boy was... definitely smarter than he was letting on. 

"Have you convinced her to be a witness?" Y/N replied with a question.

"Not yet... but maybe Ayanokoji is handling it," she said hopefully. "Oh, I'm in the bathroom right now, if you're wondering. Those two are on their own, waiting for me."

"...Why are you calling me in the bathroom?" he continued to question; literally all but one of his sentences in this conversation were questions.

"Because I thought you'd be in your room all day, not talking to anyone and keeping to yourself," she explained, which... wasn't wrong but—

"Kushida... you really need to leave people alone sometimes," Y/N let out a sigh.

"Huh? What do you mean?" she said with confusion, oblivious to what he meant.

"There are some people who... might not react the same way—"

"Like Horikita—?"

"—Like Horikita," he agreed, before he continued, "I don't really mind you... but the thing is, you can get annoying sometimes when you keep pestering me. It's— It's n-n-not a bad thing!" he said hastily, when he could sense some sadness through her silence. "Bu-But... uh... it's okay to... be worried, you know? And I appreciate that you're... just looking out for me, but others, like Horikita, might not react the same way."

She sighed. "You don't hate me, do you?"

"No, you've never really given me a reason to," Y/N assured her, hoping that this would cheer her up. "But I am patiently waiting for that reason."

"Well... okay. I just really wanted to be friends with everyone, and to prevent the shy and quieter ones from being lonely. But I didn't realise that..." she cut herself off sadly, and he felt a bit guilty now.

"...Er, are you free soon?" he asked curiously, trying to sound as confident as he could, though all Kushida could get from his voice was nervousness. "Maybe... maybe after this stuff with Pluto (everyone knew he was referring to Sudo so they were no longer confused) is over...? We can hang out or something. Y-You don't have to, but... uh... yeah."

"I'd love to!" she said happily; his question had definitely cheered her up. "I'll let you know when we can go somewhere together, okay?"

"Great," he replied promptly, not knowing if he was going to regret this or not, before mentally humming. "Uh... Sakura's not with you currently, correct...?"

"Yeah, I'm in the bathroom," she told him.

"Give me a second," he responded, and he did a few things swiftly before he said, "Check your email."