part two

Blake came into my room very early and ripped the warm blankets off me, "wake up Ken!" He yelled and shook the bed for a few minutes before I finally decided to wake up. "Wow you wasted 5 minutes, now get your ass up before we are late!" He said with sarcasm and I rolled my eyes then looked at the time- 6:50

I wore the same white tank from last night and my new jacket with a pair of leggings and tennis shoes then put light makeup on because I didn't want it to get ruined while racing. Blake came and grabbed my duffle bag because it was filled with too much shit and I couldn't carry it, "holy fuck are you moving out?" He joked as I followed him downstairs then grabbed a granola bar for protein. "Ok we gotta go!" Blake said and I grabbed my phone and keys then locked the front door behind us. "Perfect timing." I said.

We got to the track a little after 8am and Ian came up to Blake's truck, "good morning." He said and I gave him a half-awake smile. "The boys are out on the track right now...you can join them or wait around." Ian said and I looked at Blake who nodded, "I'll go out there." He smiled then led us to the empty KTM trailer. I went inside and got changed while Blake was outside setting up his tools area, I tucked in the jersey Ian had handed me then buckled my boots and walked outside of the trailer. Blake handed my helmet over then got on the back of my brand new bike and we rode over to the edge of the outdoor test track.

   "Ok Ken, careful out there and don't go too crazy, don't need any broken bones before your debut..." Blake gave me a little pep talk and I sat up straight while he held my bike because I couldn't flat foot it. I nodded and took some deep breaths while riding over to the entrance of the track.

I tightened my ponytail then put the bike in gear and sent it.

The first lap I let the other guys pass me but once I felt comfortable the second lap, I decided to actually race. I hit each jump and around one of the corners, I roosted one of the 250 guys on accident... Blake called me over and I stopped as he grabbed my handlebars, "go race Sexton!" He yelled, "huh?" But right as he said that, he let go of my bike and I panicked but saved myself from falling luckily. I looked to my left and number 4 was right there, he turned his head my way then revved his bike which meant race. Shit.

We both stopped and let the 250s guys pass then Chase's mechanic walked over to drop the gates, we were behind the gates and his mechanic let go and Chase quickly got the holeshot but I was right behind him. Though the first couple turns I watched which lane he was choosing and how fast it took him to re-gain his normal speed then I finally decided to pass him through the whoops. It was a clean pass but some could argue that I crossed rutted except I for sure didn't... we went a few more laps and Sexton was right on my ass but his mechanic came over and stopped him so I figured I probably should take a break too.

I rode over to Blake and he smacked my shoulder, "atta girl Ken!" He said and I smiled while taking my goggles off. "Did you see me out there?" Blake nodded then looked over at Chase who threw his goggles on the ground and started yelling, "uh oh." I said and his mechanic pushed him, they both were yelling but we were too far away to hear but maybe that was a good thing...

We went back to KTM and Aaron Plessinger was sitting on his bike, talking to his mechanic while he was fixing something on the back tire. I took my helmet off and attempted to pick my bike up on the stand but I failed and Blake helped me, "is there any way you could make the bike shorter?" I asked jokingly while opening a cold water and Blake nodded. "Wait actually?" "Yeah let me find the tools for it and get another guys' opinion." He disappeared then got AP's mechanic to come over and help out with the project.

"So you must be Kendall Cruz?" Aaron Plessinger walked over and asked, "yep that's me." I said while fidgeting with my water bottle. "You were looking good out there, how long have you been racing?" "Oh gosh, ever since I was old enough to ride a bike." I said and he widened his eyes. "You like the KTM?" I sorta nodded, "it's a lot different than my old kawi that's for sure." "Well you seemed comfortable about there racing against Sexton- by the way crazy you won, he's going to hate you for that." AP joked but I had a feeling he was right because the yelling from earlier didn't really go against him hating me...

"Are you going to race this weekend?" Aaron asked me and I shrugged, "I'm still not sure, either this one or next weekend at Glendale- depends how much practice I get here these next two days." "Ahh got it."

Blake called me over to sit on the bike and I still wasn't able to flat foot but that's what I get for being 5'7. "It can't go any lower?" I whined and he shook his head, "I'm not doing that for you, suck it up and use your tippy toes or grow a few inches." He gave me an answer and I stayed quiet but tightened my lips.

The sound of a dirtbike was right behind me so I turned around to reveal Chase right there with his mechanic, he threw his helmet on the chair then quickly unbuckled his boots and went inside the trailer. I looked at his mechanic and he smiled at me, "you rode great out there by the way, welcome to the team." He introduced himself then apologized for Chase 'avoiding' me but I shook it off. So far a great start...