chapter 17

Evangeline

I squint my eyes praying for my vision to squire,

The dainty night so lost so alone,

The only life is the echoes of angry gunfire.

Sadness and anger smears like paint across the faces of all life here,

A real smile nor a thought of happiness ceases to be seen here.

Death reeks and screams buried under the rapid ripe repetitive gunfire, even the kind old sun repels the needed love here.

Like the beaten dog we return indefinitely, no matter the cost of our being.

I return to him indefinitely.

Stuck in a cage amongst other young children and women is where I have been thrown, Austin told me that I would be his but I repelled his sight and touch, he knew that, he told me that I would come to my senses once I saw the other option if I didn't marry him. 

And this was it. Children and women stuck in cages to be sold and raped it makes me sick that anyone could do that to someone. The little girl sitting besides me begins to sob as another blow of gunfire is heard, they have been shooting all day at these target bags that happen to be right next to where we were being held.

"Hello" I say, shuffling over to her with a smile.

"What's your name?" I ask her.

"Re..re renay" she responds softly.

"Renay? That's a beautiful name, I'm Evangeline but you can call me angel" her eyes light up "angle as in a a guardian angel?" She stutters. I think for a moment, she needs this. "Yes and I'm here to help you and everyone else, shhh" I whisper. She begins sobbing happy tears and shuffles over and hugs me.

"Oh thank you god, you have no idea how long I have been waiting and praying for you" tears fill my eyes at her words. And I sit there hugging her.

Suddenly the gun sounds increase at an alarming rate. Then they stop, silence, then I hear yelling and screams of pain. Zanes here.

I stand to my feet picking up the small girl in my arms. And making sure the coast is clear, a guard passes a cage a few meters down and I wait for him to be out of sight. "Guys I'm going to get us out of here ok but I'm going to need your help"

 eyes rise to meet mine around 10 women and 2 other children are in our cage. "Someone is here to come get me, but I will make sure that I do not leave until you all do too.

"I know the way out" a small woman rises to her feet, almost skin and bone. Another rises with a small child in her arms. "I have a small metal rod, I..I can try and pick the lock, I have done it before" my smile widens.

"Yes, that will help. Look, I have a plan. The guard circling the cages has the keys I can get him to open the cage, I will attack him take the keys and I need as many of you as I can that can help open the locks as we can to help the others then the rest will follow you" I point to the woman that knows the way out "to take them to the exit, I need you girls to run and get away from here as quick as you can, I'll find you and I will help you."

A woman rises "and how do we know we can trust you?" I sigh "look my fiance is Zane Torrento, his job is to find trafficked women, children and to take them home. He's here fighting off the grounds, I know we can help him" the others rise 

"we have heard of him and his justice, we will follow you. What is your name?" I nod watching the crowd I have gathered "angel, now does anyone have anything sharp to get that guard down?"