Chapter 25

Right after dinner Lakshya turned on the TV. "What are we watching?"

"A Silent Voice."

The title took him back to the existential horror of the manga he had flipped.

"Do many people like it?"

Shreya understood his concern. "Yeah. It's beautiful. You'll cry at the end. Cry out for how beautiful it is."

He keyed in the title. "I won't cry!"

Shreya smiled. Anyone would cry.

They both settled on the couch. Shreya got her pillow for good measure. She was going to hug it and shed some silent tears. Or maybe not.

"Aren't we too old to watch some highschool romance, Shreya?" He said looking at the movie poster.

"It's not a romance."

Such a nice opportunity sent down the drain, he thought, she could have suggested a good romance.

Shreya stared at him as he turned to the TV and clicked play. She did not understand at all. She did not understand at all why he was suddenly talking to her.

She did not want to watch this movie at this time. She was going to watch it in a week or two when she would need it to cry away. She should have suggested Death Note, which is regarded as the universal start to getting into anime, or better yet, the popular Shingeki no Kyojin, which was arguably the best anime of all time.

She somehow did not have this intelligence when he asked for her favourite. She sighed beside him.

She watched as Ishida wrapped his life up and then stared at the water below the bridge. Soon she was engrossed.

Lakshya stole glances at her halfway through the movie.

His sister was like the man from the poem, 'The Second Show,' his English teacher taught him. She spoiled every single scene. Being accustomed to that, he felt Shreya was too silent.

He did not think much. She did not look upset at all. Her lips moved and she gulped holding a pillow.

He put his attention back on the movie. He had to admit, he did wipe a tear. No, multiple tears.

When the movie ended, Lakshya was already crying. He did not try to hide and be stoic. The movie seemed to have taken away that ability.

Shreya was much calmer.

After five minutes, Lakshya was still soaking in the emotions and crying fresh tears.

"Nobody died..."

After a while she said, "When you watch it the second time, you will notice many more details. I cried more on my second watch."

She carried her pillow to her room and stood by her door.

Seeing this, Lakshya quickly said, "Tell me a joke." He definitely did not be left alone with this feeling.

Shreya paused. "That was a happy ending..." Why did he want to listen to some random joke and be done with the beautiful feeling the movie gave?

Lakshya finally got up.

"It was great." It was a lot different from what he was used to. Had it not been for her, he may never have watched it. He wanted to say thanks, but that felt too distant.

"I'm going to sleep now."

He nodded. "Good night."

He saw as the door closed. He thought for a moment and then knocked on the door.