Chapter 3

The truck rumbled to a halt in front of the dilapidated, abandoned border gate, its paint chipped and rusted from years of neglect. Dr. Momiya stepped out into the eerie twilight, her eyes scanning the area with the sharp precision of someone who had faced danger countless times before. Matias, June, and Akai fanned out around the cargo truck, each taking a defensive position, their postures tense and alert.

"This place is creepy," June muttered, her voice barely above a whisper. She glanced around, the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end. "Shouldn't they be here waiting for us?"

Dua, inside the truck, leaned out of the window, her eyes fixed on the thermal camera display. "Guys, the thermal camera is detecting body heat at the security guard booth," she announced, her voice tinged with concern.

Dr. Momiya raised her hand to signal for silence and caution. "Stay here. I'll check it out," she instructed. She moved towards the booth with deliberate, quiet steps, her senses heightened. Pushing the door open, she found two teenagers sprawled on the floor, unconscious. She knelt down, her medical training kicking in as she checked their vitals. A wave of recognition washed over her as she identified them: Teo and Clara, the people they were supposed to meet.

"Support!" she called, her voice firm yet urgent. Akai was at her side in an instant.

"What happened here?" he asked, his voice calm and steady. He reached for their hands, his eyes closing in concentration. Black veins began to appear on his wrists, snaking their way towards Teo and Clara's hands. Moments later, Clara's eyes fluttered open, blinking against the harsh light.

"Miss Moor, can you hear me? Tell me what happened," Dr. Momiya urged gently but firmly.

Clara sat up slowly, her hand going to her forehead. "I-I don't know. We were waiting, and then some kids on motorbikes surrounded us and took our stuff—" she began, her voice trembling.

Dr. Momiya sighed, a hint of frustration creeping into her otherwise calm demeanor. "Did they take anything important?" she asked, her mind already working on the implications of this setback.

Clara shook her head weakly. "We didn't have anything valuable, just our truck and food supplies," she explained, glancing over at Teo, who was beginning to stir.

Teo groaned as he sat up, wincing in pain. "Ugh, what the hell happened?" he mumbled, his hand pressed to his aching head.

Akai stood up, his eyes scanning their surroundings once more. "They're good to go," he confirmed, his voice steady.

Dr. Momiya nodded, helping Clara to her feet. "Are you ready to guide us safely to your headquarters?" she asked, her tone conveying both authority and reassurance.

Clara, still a bit unsteady, managed a determined nod. She turned to help Teo up, her grip firm. "Of course, let's go," she said, her voice gaining strength. Together, they prepared to lead the group through the perilous terrain ahead.

The truck rumbled along the ruined pavement, its tires bumping over the cracks and debris scattered across the road. Teo, sitting next to Dua, took over the monitor, tapping to map out their route. Clara was behind the wheel, her hands gripping the steering wheel tightly, with Dr. Momiya seated next to her.

"I don't know much of what happened," Clara began, her voice tinged with sorrow. "It was the middle of the night, and we were in our rooms when we first heard the alarm. Our bedroom doors were locked, so we could only hear the screams." She paused, her eyes glistening with the memory. "By the time Teo unlocked our doors, it was too late. Our overseers were already dead, along with the guards and people in the labs..."

Momiya sighed, placing a comforting hand on Clara's shoulder. "There was nothing you could have done at that point," she said gently.

Akai, seated in the back, looked at Clara through the rearview mirror. "Why didn't they come after you once you left your rooms?" he asked, his brow furrowed in curiosity.