XX

Game Of Survival - Ruelle

|

The next morning, once Aurora had been dressed for the day she heard a knock at her chamber door.

She opened it, somewhat shocked to find Ser Criston on the other side. She could see the tension in his shoulders, and felt a pang of nerves in her gut.

"Ser Criston." She greeted with a polite smile, stepping aside to allow him to enter. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

Her heart was in her throat as she eyed the knight, a feeling of panic beginning to creep over her. This couldn't be a casual visit, not at this time.

The Kings Guard stepped into the room, and Aurora could practically feel the tension rolling off of him as he met her gaze, his face expressionless.

She had a bad feeling about this. Something had clearly happened, and her mind began racing with the possibilities. It could be nothing, someone had probably run their mouth about her secret tryst. Maybe someone had spotted her and Daemon the previous evening and told him. It could be anything.

"Princess." The Kingsguard greeted her in return, his eyes scanning the room. He seemed to see nothing out of the ordinary - her heart sank as she noticed a certain tightness in his face.

"My apologies for this unexpected visit, but I'm afraid it could not be avoided."

His tone was polite but cold, and his mouth was set in a firm, unhappy line. No matter what this was about, it was not going to be good.

"Walk with me." Ser Criston spoke, motioning for her to follow as he turned to walk down the corridor outside.

Aurora hesitated for a moment, staring at his retreating form and feeling fear creeping up her spine, but she followed anyways, pulling the door shut behind her as she stepped into the hall.

As she walked with him, she felt her nerves build with each moment of silence that passed between them, her heartbeat so heavy she was sure he could hear it.

"What is it?" She finally asked, unable to handle the tension any longer.

Criston was silent for a moment, staring her down with those cold, expressionless eyes, and the fear only grew as her mind went to all the worst possibilities.

"Aemond has had... an altercation." Criston responded, his gaze flickering up to her face, gauging her reaction.

A pit formed in her stomach.

Something happened to Aemond?

She thought, her mouth had gone dry and her throat tight.

"What kind of...altercation?" She managed to choke out, a cold sweat taking over her.

Criston was silent for a long moment, and Aurora felt like she would burst from anxiety, but he finally spoke up. "It was..."

He seemed to struggle to find the right words, a flicker of something in his eyes not going unnoticed. Concern?

"Violent." He finally finished. "He had an altercation, and it was violent. He is fine, do not worry yourself over him."

A heavy breath fell from her lips as she processed this information, the pit in her gut easing but only slightly. He was unharmed, thank the gods.

But violent? Who had he fought? What had driven him to such violence in the first place? There was only one person who had such an effect on her husband.