𝚃 𝚆 𝙴 𝙻 𝚅 𝙴

𝙿𝚁𝙴𝚂𝙴𝙽𝚃
𝚂𝙸𝚇 𝙳𝙰𝚈𝚂 𝙻𝙰𝚃𝙴𝚁

"And what type of cheese is that?" Derek asked, noticing the freshly grated cheese I had set aside with the wild mushrooms for the Lauders' morning omelets. It's a few minutes past five in the morning and we've been going to sleep and waking up together this past week, still connected through FaceTime.

So I brought his ass with me to the kitchen since he's been so curious about how I work. I had my phone propped up on the island, my airpods in my ears, providing us with a private communication line as my hands were busy cutting up the ingredients.

"It's called Gruyère, baby," I answered with a slow, sophisticated tone. "It's rich, creamy, and a bit nutty."

"Oh, it's nutty? Like these last few nights on FaceTime?" The lights are still off in his room with the exception of his TV so I can barely see his face. But his deep, raspy morning voice vibrated through my ears, all the way down to my sweet spot. His words immediately gave me chills and my walls clenched up.

"Mmm, shut up." I whispered harshly at him, unable to contain the giggle that bubbled up inside of me and he started laughing.

"Good mooooorning!" Claire Lauder shouted, stretching in her pastel pink tracksuit and barely looking winded. She's a fitness junkie so it was probably just her morning jog that had her looking so refreshed and ready to start her day.

"Morning, Claire!" I replied, attempting to keep my voice steady and professional. "You look revitalized." I teased. Then the laughter faded away from my face as I turned towards the stove to heat up the skillet.

"Oh, thank you!" She smiles at my compliment and goes to the fridge, pulling out a bottle of water to chug down.

"You're welcome." I smiled back.

Meanwhile, Derek was still connected, silent but watching me carefully. Even with her in the room, he was still holding my attention and his deep voice came back through the earpiece.

"Mhm, keep lookin' at me like that, and you gonna have me—"

Nope. I bit my lip and hung up on his ass. He ain't about to have me out here, moaning in front of the Lauders.

"So what are we having this morning?" Claire asked, sitting on one of the bar stools, her legs crossed at the ankles. She looked at me expectantly, her green eyes shining with curiosity.

"Wild mushroom and Gruyère omelets with sourdough toast and freshly brewed French press coffee," I replied, keeping my eyes focused on the skillet. Then I turn my head to her quickly. "Sound good?"

"Ooh, gourmet!" Claire cooed, clapping her hands together, looking delighted. Her blonde hair bounced a soft giggle to escape her lips. "That sounds sooo good, Soriyah!"

"I'm glad you think so," I replied with a warm smile. My phone buzzed against the countertop and before I started whisking the eggs, I checked to see that it was a text from Derek.

"We gon talk about you hanging up on me when I see you tonight, Mama."

I didn't even reply. I was too busy trying to work, while trying to ignore the shiver running down my spine at his words. Because tonight is the night that he and Javonte will be locking up their shop for the week. And the night that Derek is supposed to fly out... to see me.

I stashed my phone back in my pocket, swallowing back a knot of anticipation as my heart pounded in my chest like a drum.

He's already got his flight booked, already got our hotel room reserved and I'm literally screaming inside. Derek had a way of making me feel a million things with just a single sentence, and I don't know if I'm ready for whatever the hell that text meant.