Spin-Off Part One

1825

     For as long as he could remember Edward hated attention. Both his other siblings had dealt with their own anxieties when it came to the ton and he swore he would never face the same fate. However, due to his family's status and his own personal achievements, Edward somehow found himself named one of the most eligible bachelors of the season. Although only a second son with no title Edward worked hard to build his legacy, first attending Oxford and then King's College for law. After that, he opened up his practice which came with a multitude of successes and quickly made him one of the most prominent lawyers in the city. And yet he still hated attention.

     "Lord Sheppard I wanted to congratulate you on your latest success" A young lady complimented as she batted her eyelashes,

     "Yes, it was truly a brilliant feat!" Another lady added as she gave him a smile,

     "Do you have any other passions, my lord?" A third asked as she clutched tightly to her fan.

     "Uhh...." He drew a blank, clearly uncomfortable by the group that was now forming around him. He hastily looked around, hoping to find a savior when his eyes fell upon his siblings. They were across the lawn with their respective spouses having a chuckle at his expense. "It seems my sister is calling me" He blurted out, before walking away, leaving all the women in shock as he didn't even offer a goodbye.

     Elliot Sheppard noted the exact moment his little brother bailed on a group of doting ladies, he also noted the look on Edward's face as he trudged towards their table. "Having fun?" He asked,

       "They are hunting in packs" Edward grunted as he quickly swiped a glass from his brother's hand. The group busted out in laughter, ignoring the glares he sent their way as he settled beside them.

     "Have patience little brother it is not their fault that you have become so successful" Elliot grinned as he took his youngest child Jack from Edwina's arms to give her some rest. 

      "Perhaps he believed it would be an easier feat considering he once gossiped at Lady Danbury's side" Elizabeth jabbed, earning an additional laugh from her husband. Edward rolled his eyes and loosened his collar, "I should've just pretended to be ill"

     "And what fun would that be?" The Marquess smirked as he approached the table slightly inebriated. "Missing my party" He finished with a pout as he plopped down beside his youngest. Tonight was his 60th birthday party, an event the Sheppard siblings had coordinated for their father in their London home.

        "I wouldn't dream of it Father" Edward reassured him. The Marquess sighed, smacking his lips together as he patted Edward's back

       "Besides, running around Europe like your brother would've been a better excuse" Alexander joked as he watched his youngest finally crack a smile. 

      "Are you having a good night father?" Edwina asked as she took a sip of her champagne.

        "I am having a wonderful night" The Marquess hummed as he tilted his head back and let out a long sigh "How could I not when my children have thrown me such a party!" He exclaimed, now hastily standing up. He then looked into the crowd of guests, before spotting a few old friends. A wide grin stretched across his face as he swiped the newest glass Elliot had procured.

       "Hey!" He shouted as everyone now laughed at his expense "I would apologize but it is my birthday" The Marquess said with a shrug before starting his departure. "Oh, Edward!" He paused, catching his youngest's attention "You look pale, why don't you retire for the night" His cautious words were spoken through a sly smile as Edward's face mirrored him.