Chapter 3

Sara was currently running to the meeting room in 3 inch heels. Off all days she needed to choose this one to not wake up to her alarm. Now she was 10 minutes late, which was unusual even for her.

Eve, Frank, Bill and Caroline Martins were already seated around the table when she walked in. She cached Eve's eyes as she approached the table, and handed her a homemade croissant with an apologetic grin.

''Sorry I'm a bit late'' Sara said. Trying to sound casual despite her racing heartbeat. Eve accepted the croissant with a small smile as she assessed Sara's appearance.

Caroline spoke up before Eve has the chance to say anything. ''It's alright'' she mutters in a neutral tone. ''Take a seat, we have a lot to discuss''. She said as she nodded to a chair next to Eve.

Sara settled into the chair. With a calm demeanor she presented her findings from yesterday to the team. She outlined the potential threats to the politician and the evidence suggesting ties to an extremist group.

Caroline listened intently, her brows furrowed in concern. Bill and Eve exchange meaningful glances. Meanwhile Frank sat there looking like a lost puppy.

After Sara finished her presentation there was a moment off silence, before Eve nodded thoughtfully with a serious expression. ''Thank you for your thorough report'' she said. ''This confirms our suspicion. We will need to proceed with caution''.

The rest off the team chimed in with their thoughts and suggestions. Brainstorming strategies to ensure the politicians safety and apprehend any potential threat. As the meeting came to an end Eve turned to Sara with a nod off approval.

''Good work'' she said quietly. ''Keep me updated on any developments''.

As Sara stepped out off the meeting room to let the meeting finnish, she felt a sense off relief wash over her. She was happy her contributions were valued by Eve and the team.

With the sense off nervousness from the meeting lifted from her shoulders, Sara decided to walk down to a nearby café. She rarely took use off the office cafeteria, as the coffee was way too bitter and overpriced for her taste.

Walking into the cozy café she ordered a large cappuccino before she settled into a comfortable chair in the corner. She allowed her brain to turn off as she sunk into the leather cushions with the hot cup warming her hands.

As she had just taken her first sip, Sara noticed her phone light up with a message. Curious who it might be she picked up her phone to check. She was hoping it was her little brother, as she hadn't heard from him in months since he joined the military.

But the message was not from her brother. Sent from an unknown number it was brief, and simply read:

''Tick tock, time is running out''.

Sara's heart was once again beating fast as she looked at the ominous words. She glanced around the café, suddenly feeling paranoid. Who could have sent such a message, and what do they mean by ''times running out''?

Before Sara had any time to react a second message popped up on her phone:

''Better watch your back''.

Sara quickly rose up from her chair. The urgency of the situation became clear. This wasn't empty threats she could ignore for too long. With trembling fingers she opened a new message adresed to Eve. She attached screenshots off the messages and hit send, before she quickly made her way back to the office. Leaving her much needed coffee behind.

She met Eve, Bill and Caroline in the hallway as they were just about to leave. It looked like Eve had already informed them about her message after Frank in a serious tone suggested that Sara was taken off the case.

Caroline took Sara off guard when she with a confidence glimt in her eyes declined Bill's suggestion. She uttered Appreciation for Sara's talent, and thought it was too early to lose her from the case. Sara had uttered her thanks before she followed Eve back to her desk, preparing for the never ending paper work she had gotten well used to here at MI6.

When Sara came home that night she made sure to double check if her door was locked properly. Little did she know, that it was going to be a long time until she would experience a relaxing evening again.