Chapter 29

I should be studying but after yesterday I just really couldn't focus on school stuff. 
I mean...Charles won in Monaco!!! and Czechia is the world champion in ice hockey <3
Enjoy this chapter, vote, and comment if you like :)
-B. 

Charles

"I'll go in there with you," I insisted as Anna and I stood outside the jerk's house. I still couldn't think of a name for him, but luckily he was soon to become just another black dot in Anna's past.
"I really appreciate your support, but I can do it on my own," she smiled soothingly at me, gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, and headed for the main entrance.
"If he touches you, I'll kill him," I grunted, but I don't think she heard me because at that moment the door opened, and Anna walked in.

The following moments were perhaps the longest in my life. I paced back and forth down the driveway, listening carefully for any banging or screaming from inside, and several times considered whether to call the police in case of an emergency or if I should run inside myself. But then the door suddenly opened again, and Anna came out. She looked calm and unruffled, and I rushed over to see if she was okay. "Are you alright? You've been there for ages," I blurted out. "I'm fine, Charles. And I wasn't there for more than 10 minutes," she smiled, and I checked the time on my watch. She was right.

"He took it much better than I expected. He said he understood and wished me luck," she shrugged as we drove my car back to her house. I furrowed my eyebrows. This guy certainly didn't seem like someone who would react to a breakup this calmly. He might have an undiagnosed psychiatric disorder, but I certainly didn't expect Anna to get rid of him so easily, which I told her too. "Don't be so negative," she sneered.
"He's a jealous, possessive, violent asshole. I'm glad you broke up with him and you'll never see him again, but I still don't think he's had his last word yet."
"I work with him, so I'll see him on Monday," Anna shrugged, and I shuddered.
"But what if..."
"Charlie, don't worry," she put her hand on my shoulder, and I looked at her sideways. "There are a lot of people in the restaurant. He is no danger to me there."
"I guess you're right," I exhaled the air I was holding in my lungs and nodded.

Lewis didn't look so surprised anymore when Anna and I walked hand in hand into his living room. He almost didn't even react at all. Maybe it was that I was spending more time at his house now than I was in my own apartment, but I wanted to use the remaining few days before my flight to Miami to reassure Anna as much as possible that I was serious about her. After everything she told me, I knew I had to try not to disappoint her. And not only because of that. Somewhere deep inside I knew she meant more to me than all the previous girls combined. Much more.

Just before closing time, I waited for Anna outside the restaurant so I could take her home. Maybe I was exaggerating a bit because I knew very well that she was capable of driving herself to and from work, but I meant it when I told her that I wanted to spend every free minute with her. So far, she seemed to enjoy it and I just hoped it would stay that way and I won't start getting on her nerves soon. At exactly five minutes past ten, the man whose name was stuck in my throat came out of the restaurant. He gave me a rather pissed-off look, but without a word he briskly walked past and disappeared into the darkness. A moment later, Anna came out, her eyes lit up when she saw me. She shoved a mysterious box into my hand and jumped around my neck, showering my face with tiny kisses. "Did you miss me that much?" I laughed and she just nodded beamingly. "I snagged the rest of the lasagna for you," she explained as I began to curiously examine the small plastic box. "Oh, you brought me leftovers. I don't even deserve that," I smirked and stroked her arm, but at that moment my stomach rumbled. "I didn't want to throw it in the trash," she shrugged with a smile.

"I don't want to go home at all," yawned Anna, who was sitting curled up next to me on the couch. "But you don't have to. You can sleep here and go to work from here tomorrow. It is much closer," I said. Anna turned to me uncertainly and I narrowed my eyes in anticipation. "I don't know if it isn't too soon to..." she began nervously. "No!" I screamed. "Actually, yes. I mean..." I took a breath to calm myself. "It's just an offer for a sleepover. I have no ulterior motives, nor did I mean to. I'll sleep in the other room."
Anna smiled contentedly but shook her head. "I'd rather you lay next to me."