Chapter 33

I know it took a while, but I'm back.
But first...I returned from Bergamo yesterday and I got to buy Charles's ice cream. I may or may have not walked 4 km to get it but...if you ever get the chance buy the vanilla one <3
Anyway...here is the new chapter <3
-B. 

Anna

I wanted to get on a plane to Miami and kill Charles myself, but I had a feeling that Joris would take care of it. I thought that if I didn't talk to anyone for a day, no one would find it suspicious. I thought that by the time Charles and Dad got back, my bruises would have healed, and no one would know. But obviously I was wrong. Evidently, Gabriele has decided to destroy not only my life but also Charles's. It was almost as if he knew Charles wouldn't take it and would do something stupid.

Charles showed up at my house on Monday morning. After the race, which he at least went to see, and which turned out to be quite below average, he got on the first plane and flew back to Italy. When I opened the door, I was determined to punch him for hurting himself, but the look on his face wouldn't let me. He had crazy dark circles under his bloodshot eyes, days of unkempt stubble on his face, and a look like at least two puppies had been killed right in front of his eyes. So instead of punching him, I hugged him tightly and buried my face in his chest. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, and I pulled away to look at him. Tears glistened in his eyes, and I knew the last thing he needed right now was someone scolding him.

"Why?" I asked as we sat down on the couch. He looked at me with such pity that I had to hug him again.
"It's my fault," he said simply.
"How is it your fault?"
"I left you here. I knew he would try to hurt you and I left you here."
"Charlie..."
"I was terribly afraid, Anna. I didn't know what he did to you, so I drank because it was the only thing that could help me in that situation."
"If I picked up the phone, you wouldn't do it, would you?" I asked, but it was pointless because we both knew the answer. In the end, it wasn't so much about what had happened, but about his regrets, which he was trying to suppress.
"You said you wanted to be better. And that we can try to be better together..."
"I know," he nodded quietly.
"Then let's try it. You didn't run away from me when I told you everything about myself. And I promise you that I won't run away from you. Whatever happens. We can do this together, okay?"
Charles looked at me with a look that said so much that if I hadn't sat down, my knees would have buckled. Even though I knew how broken he was, I knew in my heart that what I was saying was true. We can do it together.

We spent the next day together. We lounged around the house enjoying the peace we both needed after the last weekend. Charles tried to convince me to press charges against Gabriel, but I had other plans. I was determined to press charges as soon as possible, but first I needed to sort out what would happen to me and Charles, because I refused to leave him, and I knew he felt the same way about me.

"Charlie?" I whispered.
"Hm?"
"Do you think it would be possible to arrange for me to go to a few races with you and Dad now?"
Charles straightened up on the couch and I lifted my head to meet his eyes. He blinked a few times and then nodded firmly.
"Of course, Anna. You know I don't want anything else," he smiled and kissed my forehead. I couldn't resist and smiled widely at him too. "I'm not saying that's how I want to spend the rest of the season, but maybe it would be good for both of us."
"Won't you miss work?" he asked a little more seriously and I shook my head.
"I will. But I don't want to go back to the restaurant anyway, and I don't want to stay here alone until I find something else."
"I swear to God that I won't let you go even a step away from me, ma chérie," he whispered, and I got goosebumps all over my body.