Chapter 35

Sooo...I'm done with my exams for this semester :) I promise I'll publish regularly from now on :)
-B.

Charles

After such a pleasant morning, suddenly all the press and media activities didn't seem as annoying as before. I couldn't keep the smile off my face all day and when I finally reunited with Anna, I immediately hugged her and planted a kiss in her hair. Lewis, who had accompanied her almost every step of the way, just raised an eyebrow and shook his head, but I didn't care at all.

"So..." Anna began as we sat in the room in the evening and stuffed ourselves with pizza. Not exactly the ideal meal for a race weekend, but I only had free practice the next day, so what?
"What's the strategy for this weekend?" she asked.
"Get to the finish line? Ideally on points," I shrugged. We weren't even halfway through the season, but to be honest, I was a little resigned to the results. Not only did this allow me to drive under much less pressure, but most importantly I was fully aware that the car simply did not have the power to regularly fight for the front row or, God forbid, the title. But this was Imola. Basically almost a home race and I'd really like to show off.
"You sound pretty defeated," Anna grumbled.
"More like realistic," I sighed. "Of course, I want to win. But you can see for yourself how it is this year. Plus, with everything that's happened lately..." I trailed off. "I'll just be happy for any pleasant surprise."

As if I summoned it or something. I finished both practices on Friday in 4th place, which was an unprecedented achievement. But I wasn't going to rest on my laurels. I couldn't give Tifosi such high hopes and not advance to Q3. On the other hand, no one would probably be too surprised.

"I'll stand right here and give you both thumbs up," Anna cooed at me as I prepared for qualifying. Lewis, who was walking past to his half of the garage, froze and turned to us. He looked at me with such a look that it almost froze the blood in my veins. "Excuse me?" he turned to Anna, who immediately blushed. "So, one for each?" she smiled sweetly at him. Lewis nodded in satisfaction and left. Anna leaned into my ear and her breath brushed against my temple. "My thumbs are only yours." "That was one of the weirdest things I've ever heard, but thank you," I laughed, but quickly cupped her face in my hands and kissed her on the lips.

"You're losing in turn 7, try to push more," Bryan told me on the radio. "I'm trying," I said through gritted teeth.
"What's the gap to Verstappen?"
"Fifteen hundredths," he answered. Fifteen hundredths. 0.15 seconds. That's nothing. I hit the gas and hurtled down the finish line into another flying lap. "You are doing well. Keep going," Bryan encouraged me. "Don't talk to me now," I growled, and there was resigned silence on the other end. I was glad that after all the "we're checking" and "we'll come back to you" I was hearing something else on the radio. But especially in qualifying I knew very well what I was doing and Bryan's talking during my braking distracted me unnecessarily. I went through the last corner and flew across the finish line. "So?" I asked Bryan as there was a poor view on the results screen. "Verstappen and Norris are still finishing their fast laps but they are not improving." I could feel the tension rising in my stomach and I just mentally prayed to the Formula Gods to grant me pole position on Ferrari's home soil because no one could have wanted it more than me. "P1, Charles. You have pole position!" Bryan spoke up after a while and the tension inside me miraculously eased. "Yes! Finally!" I roared.