Chapter 41

Charles

Arthur was completely silent the whole time, staring intently at his now empty plate. What the hell is going on in that head of his? When Mum and Anna got up to clear the dishes from the table, I told them to stay seated and pointedly urged Arthur to help me instead. We collected what we could from the table and went to the kitchen, where I slammed the door behind us. Without a word, we piled everything into the dishwasher and Arthur quickly started for the door, but I blocked his way with my own body, arms crossed over my chest. "What?" he asked confused.
"I should be asking you that," I grumbled and frowned.
"I don't know what you're talking about," he muttered, looking away.
"What is wrong with you?" I shook my head. "And what is your problem with Anna?"
He looked directly into my eyes for the first time all evening. "For several months you talked to me about nothing but racing, if at all. It's like you almost forgot you had a brother. You ruined your weekend in Miami because of her..." he sighed. "And now you're surprised that I don't have the greatest sympathy for her? What if she's just using you? Have you forgotten how it turned out with Bianca?"

To tell the truth, yes, I forgot. I rarely remembered my ex, and I almost completely pushed this particular one out. She was beautiful, like all Instagram models. Except it turns out she preferred my credit card to me, and while she was dating me and enjoying my money, she was doing the same with two other guys. No wonder she never had time to attend race weekends.

"I'm sorry for neglecting you. And I'm really upset that I messed up like that in Miami, but believe me, if it weren't for Anna, there would probably be a lot more messed up weekends like this," I returned to reality.
"What do you mean?" this time my brother frowned, and I sighed. Arthur knew nothing of what was going on in my head. I was sure of it because neither Joris nor Lorenzo wanted to burden him with it as much as I did. But he probably deserved to know the truth.
"The last few months have not been ideal. I wasn't at my best mentally and thought I could handle it on my own, so I cut most of you off. But it didn't work. Actually, it was even worse. I didn't race in Miami because I got so drunk on Friday that I couldn't get out of bed the next day..." I swallowed hard. "It definitely wasn't the first time I solved my problems this way, but I'm seriously trying to make it the last time. And yes, maybe it was because Anna ended up in the hospital, but it certainly wasn't her fault. Only mine."
Arthur stared at me with wide eyes, speechless.
"She helps me cope. She knows about my problems, and I know about hers. Trust me, this is something completely different from my previous relationships," I explained to him.
"Why didn't you say something? We could have helped you," Arthur said but I shook my head.
"I started going to therapy again. I am supervised by Anna and by Joris, most of the time. It will be fine," I smiled slightly at him, and he walked over to me. He studied my face carefully for a moment and then hugged me tightly.

When we returned to the others, we interrupted their heated discussion about how to properly make crème brûlée. Anna lifted her head and her eyes found mine. I smiled soothingly at her, sat down next to her, and placed my palm on her thigh. She squeezed my hand lightly and continued to explain to my mother that it was best to pour the cream into the yolks with sugar in a very thin stream. Whatever that means.

Moments later we said goodbye. This time Arthur wrapped Anna in a careful hug, and she widened her eyes in astonishment. "Thank you," she whispered later on the way home and gave me a kiss on the cheek.
"For what?" I smiled.
"I haven't felt so accepted and at home as I felt with your family in a long time," she admitted quietly, and a warm feeling washed over me.
"I spoke to Arthur. I think he understood that you're not the problem, but part of the solution," I chuckled because it sounded seriously stupid, even though it was completely true. "Do you think you're going to make it up alone? I need to go somewhere really quick," I suddenly thought when we were standing in front of the entrance to the building in which my apartment was located. Anna nodded. I handed her the keys and gave her a quick kiss before heading a few blocks away to where my best friend lived. He also deserved an apology. Now that I've managed to talk to Arthur, I can do it once more.