Chapter 5: A Terrible First Bite-Training Session

"Scarlett,

I know this is overwhelming, and I'm sorry for pushing you. I just want to help you understand the importance of what we're facing. Please, come to the library when you're ready. We need to talk.

Dimitri"

I gave in and left my room, heading to the library.

I sat nervously in the library, the anticipation of our first training session hanging thick in the air. Dimitri walked in, his presence commanding the room, his eyes dark and intense. This was the moment I had been dreading and anticipating in equal measure.

As Dimitri stepped closer, a flicker of something unreadable crossed his face, a hint of anticipation mingled with something more primal. His voice was low and husky as he spoke, his words sending a shiver down my spine. "Scarlett," he murmured, "you need to understand that this process might awaken desires within us both. It's a side effect of the blood magic, a powerful connection that can't be denied."

I blinked, trying to process his words. Desire? Connection? What did he mean? My mind raced with questions, but fear drowned out any semblance of understanding. All I could think about was the sharp sting of his teeth against my skin, the rush of blood, the overwhelming sensation of losing control.

But as Dimitri leaned in, his breath warm against my neck, I felt a surge of panic rise within me. I couldn't do this. The idea of him draining my blood, of sharing that intimate connection, filled me with dread. Without thinking, I pushed him away, the action fueled by fear and uncertainty.

Dimitri stumbled back, his expression shifting from anticipation to frustration in an instant. "What are you doing?" he demanded, his voice sharp and accusatory. "You can't back out now. You're being childish."

I recoiled, the sting of his words cutting deep. I had let fear control me, and now I had disappointed him. Tears welled up in my eyes as he turned and stormed out of the library, leaving me alone in the dimly lit room.

I sank into a chair, the weight of my decision crashing down on me. I had let fear drive me to push away the one person who was trying to help me. The realization left me feeling hollow and alone, and all I could do was sit and sob, the sound echoing through the empty library.

My heart ached and ached, the thought of teeth breaking skin plagued my thoughts. My breathing went crazy, every breath hard to draw out long enough between my sobs. 

The library was too dark, too big and this chair too soft. I stood, panic coursing through me.

"Dimi..." I managed to choke out his name, my voice barely a whisper as dizziness swept over me like a tidal wave. My vision blurred, and I felt myself swaying dangerously on my feet.

Before I could collapse completely, Dimitri was there, his strong arms wrapping around me, catching me before I hit the ground. "Scarlett," he murmured, his voice laced with concern. "I had no idea you'd faint at the mere thought of blood. You should have told me."

But I was already slipping away, consciousness slipping through my fingers like grains of sand. His words were distant echoes in my ears as darkness closed in, swallowing me whole.

When I came to, I was lying on a soft sofa in the library, the dim light casting long shadows across the room. My head throbbed, and my throat felt raw from crying. Dimitri sat beside me, his expression a mix of worry and frustration.

"Are you okay?" he asked softly, his hand reaching out to brush a stray lock of hair from my face.

I nodded weakly, still feeling disoriented from the ordeal. "I'm sorry," I mumbled, my voice barely audible. "I didn't mean to cause a scene."

Dimitri sighed, running a hand through his hair. "It's not your fault, Scarlett. I should have been more careful. I didn't realize how overwhelming this would be for you."

I closed my eyes, trying to block out the memories of fear and panic. "I'm just scared," I admitted, my voice trembling. "Scared of what might happen, of what I might become."

Dimitri's expression softened, a hint of understanding in his eyes. "I know," he said gently. "But you're not alone in this. I'll be here every step of the way, guiding you, protecting you."

I looked up at him, gratitude welling up inside me despite the lingering fear. "Thank you," I whispered, the words a fragile lifeline in the darkness.

Dimitri smiled softly, his hand finding mine and giving it a reassuring squeeze. "We'll figure this out together, Scarlett. I promise."