Chapter 7: Scarlett Tries to Escape and Encounters an Unpleasant Surprise

The decision to confront Dimitri weighed heavy on my mind as I paced outside his office. I had to know the truth, even if it meant facing his wrath. With a determined breath, I pushed open the door and stepped into the dimly lit room.

Dimitri glanced up from his desk, surprise flickering in his eyes. "Scarlett," he greeted, his voice laced with concern. "What brings you here?"

I clenched my fists, the words tumbling from my lips before I could stop them. "I need to talk to you, Dimitri," I said, my voice trembling with emotion. "I can't stay here anymore. I want to go home."

His brow furrowed in confusion, but he gestured for me to take a seat. I complied, my heart pounding in my chest as I settled into the chair across from him. Dimitri regarded me with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension, waiting for me to continue.

"I want to see my friends, my family," I continued, desperation creeping into my voice. "I can't stay locked up in this mansion forever."

Dimitri's expression softened, sympathy evident in his eyes. "I understand, Scarlett," he said gently. "But it's not safe for you out there. You know that."

Frustration bubbled up inside me, the anger threatening to spill over. "Safe? You call this safe?" I retorted, gesturing around the opulent office. "Being held against my will?"

Dimitri's jaw tightened, but he remained composed. "You're not a prisoner, Scarlett," he insisted. "You're here because I'm trying to protect you."

I shook my head, the frustration boiling over. "I don't care," I snapped, my voice rising with each word. "I want to go home, Dimitri. I want my life back."

Dimitri's expression softened, regret flickering in his eyes. "I wish I could give that to you," he said softly. "But you have to trust me. I'm doing what I believe is best for you."

Trust. The word echoed in my mind, a bitter reminder of the fractured bond between us. "I don't trust you, Dimitri," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper, I gesture to the scratches on my skin.. "Not anymore. Not after what happened yesterday. The only danger here is you."

He growled in response, his gaze fixated on the desk.

With that, I pushed back my chair and stormed out of his office, my heart pounding with anger and defiance. I couldn't stay here a moment longer—I needed to escape.

I searched for his bedroom, my heart pounding. I tried a door, and he'd left it open. A plan formed in my mind. His room was decadent with luxury, dripping in velvet red hues.

I quickly rifled through his drawers, searching for the keys to the front door. My hands shook with adrenaline as I finally found them, slipping them into my pocket before making my way to the gates of the mansion. I inserted them into the gate, my thoughts praying that it would unlock.

Click.

I stepped outside and the weight of my decision settled over me like a suffocating blanket. The forest stretched out before me, its shadows dancing in the moonlight. I hesitated for a moment, uncertainty gnawing at my resolve.

But I couldn't turn back now. With a deep breath, I plunged into the darkness, the crunch of leaves beneath my feet the only sound in the silent night.

Time seemed to blur as I trudged through the forest, the trees looming overhead like silent sentinels. The path ahead was shrouded in darkness, each step filled with uncertainty and dread.

And then, without warning, the tranquility of the night shattered as a chorus of howls pierced the air. My heart leaped into my throat as I realized I wasn't alone—I was surrounded by wolves.

Panic surged through me as the creatures emerged from the shadows, their eyes gleaming with hunger. I stumbled backward, my gown catching on branches as I tried to flee, but it was too late. The wolves were upon me, their snarls filling the air as they closed in.

With a cry of fear, I stumbled and fell to the forest floor, the cold earth pressing against my cheek as the wolves circled around me. I closed my eyes, bracing for the inevitable attack.