Chapter 10: Her Alpha Mate

As I lay there, still catching my breath from the ordeal, Dimitri's gaze softened, his fingers gently tracing the curve of my cheek. "Scarlett," he murmured, his voice low and intimate, "there's something I need to tell you."

I looked up at him, my heart pounding in my chest. "What is it?" I whispered, anticipation tingling in every nerve.

He took a deep breath, his eyes locking onto mine with an intensity that made my breath catch in my throat. "You and I, we're more than just connected by blood and magic," he began, his voice grave yet tinged with an underlying warmth. "We're alpha mates now."

I blinked, the weight of his words sinking in. "Alpha mates?" I repeated, my mind racing to comprehend the implications of what he was saying.

Dimitri nodded, his expression growing more somber. "Yes," he replied, his tone heavy with emotion. "It means that I will thirst for you constantly, Scarlett. And it's dangerous for both of us to be together too much."

I felt a surge of conflicting emotions welling up inside me, a mixture of awe, excitement, and a hint of fear. "What does that mean for us?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

He reached out, his hand cupping my cheek, his touch sending a shiver down my spine. "It means that we need to be careful," he said softly, his gaze unwavering. "We need to stay away from each other so you can concentrate on honing your blood magic and fulfilling the prophecy."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked into his, feeling a sense of loss settling over me. "But what about us?" I whispered, my voice trembling with emotion.

Dimitri's expression grew colder, his touch withdrawing. "There can't be an 'us'," he said firmly, his tone devoid of warmth. "Not in the way you want. We have a mission, Scarlett, and we can't afford to be distracted by anything else."

He stood up and left, the door closing shut, startling me.