Chapter 13

"Where are we going?" Callan questioned, for the hundredth time.

I shot him an annoyed look. "I told you. Out."

"That's not an answer."

The wind blew through my hair, giving me a sense of freedom Eli never did. My foot kicked a pebble, sending it tumbling down the road. I don't know why Callan followed me out of school if all he was going to do was complain.

"Do you even know where we are?" Callan looked around, trying to take in his surroundings.

"No." Did I care? Also no. All I cared about was being away from the hellhole known as school. We had been walking for quite a bit. I would have driven, but Tate had the keys to the truck. And I also didn't know how to drive...To be quite honest all I was concerned with was getting away from there, I didn't even give a second thought as to how. I had followed the road, letting my feet lead the way. My mind was too blurry with anger to make coherent decisions, so I let Jesus take the wheel. We couldn't have gone that far; we were only walking. We weren't even walking that fast.

I glanced up, slightly surprised as to how far we actually got. We were no longer anywhere near the school. I could no longer hear the bustling streets overrun with cars passing us every five minutes. I'm not sure when that changed...but I wasn't complaining. My ears now tuned into the subtle slapping of waves as the crashed onto the beach. A grin crawled up my lips as I glanced over at Callan. He eyed me for a second, before a smile joined his face. He chuckled, then nodded his head toward the sound of the waves, as if giving me permission to go down there.

Thank you for your permission, Callan, but I was going to go down there anyway.

I could practically feel the anger leave my body as we drew near the water. There was something about the salty breeze and sand beneath my feet that almost made it impossible to be angry. Almost. My hair whipped against my face quickly in a way I would normally find annoying. However, today, I found it rather relaxing. It made me feel real and at ease. I sensed Callan standing beside me, his eyes staring out into the distance.

"This is so much better than school." I breathed out, feeling a sense of calm wash over me. Aubrey's harsh words were nothing but a spec of sand blowing away in the wind.

"Now what?" Callan asked.

I shot him a look, slightly annoyed at the question. But seeing his eyes closed and his slow breaths, made me realize that he didn't mean it maliciously. It was just a question that piqued his curiosity. He asked it in such a way that made it seem like he was checking up on me, asking me what was going through my mind. I hesitated for a moment, finally realizing the severity of the situation I had put us in.

Cale was going to be pissed.

I ran my hand through my hair, feeling my anxiety start to rise once again. "I uh...I didn't think that far."

Callan peeked an eye open at me a small laugh escaping his lips. "Lets just enjoy this moment then, yeah?"

A small smile crept across my face as I watched Callan pull his sweatshirt over his head. I peered closer at his body as the t-shirt underneath came up slightly. I don't know what I was expecting underneath all his clothing, but I was impressed with the six-pack I saw.

Snap out of it, Noa! I quickly averted my eyes, turning them back to the crashing waves rolling over the sand. I took notice of the small figure in the distance dancing over the waves on a surfboard. She flew across the water like there was nothing holding her back. Like she was free from the ties that held her back. I admired that.

"Mi lady." Callan gestured dramatically to the sweatshirt he had laid on the sand, offering me a spot. I placed my hands on my heart plastering a bashful expression on my face.