Chapter 141 : Proof of Chastity

Draupadi returns to her chamber. She doesn't dare go to Yudhisthira's chamber. What if Arjuna barge in again? Cradling Vrishaketu to her chest and one hand on Abhimanyu's chest, she sleeps.

Arjuna sits on his bed a huge sigh leaving his lips.

"Madhav, she might have gotten the wrong idea..."

"What were you thinking, Partha?" Krishna's voice is stern.

"Madhav..."

"Did you feel no guilt? Krishnaa is so embarrassed and your Jyest? What would he have done if you took away his wife from his bed? Did you think about your actions properly before acting?"

Arjuna lowers his head silently.

"Partha, she doesn't deserve this treatment. She lived with them for years. She loves them no less than she loves you. You are keeping her away from them,"

Arjuna's fist tightens. Loves them no less than she loves him. Why?

"So, we all are equal to her? There's no difference? I hold no special place in her heart?" Arjuna speaks venom.

Krishna sits down beside him, "She can't be partial. If she was, you wouldn't be in her life anymore."

Arjuna raises his eyebrows, "I won her hand in swayamvar. She should be partial to me."

"Partha, when you selfishly decided to leave her for 12 years, Jyest Yudhisthira gave her a shoulder to cry and lament. Bhrata Bheema was ready to fulfill every thing she says. Nakula, Sahadeva never compromised about her health or security. Not only physically but also they provided her a shelter mentally. You think it wasn't painful for them to see her crying for you? It was. But her happiness became their priority. Jyest Yudhisthira was so guilt ridden that he tried to bring you back several times. Begging me to talk to you. Despite his selfish reasons of driving you away, her pain became intolerable for him,"

Arjuna stays silent. Of course every letter he received from his Jyest those years, he begged him to come back, pleaded for him to return.

"You think Yudhisthira can't be selfish? If he ordered that day that only he can marry Draupadi, could any one of you have said otherwise? If Bheema challenges you all to wrestle, can you win? Nakula or Sahadeva are very capable doctors and they could have also done things to keep you away from her,"

Arjuna becomes visibly stiff.

"None of them did that because of their love of each other. Because if they did it, Krishnaa would have been unhappy,"

"I don't want to be the reason of her unhappiness," Arjuna confesses.

"Marriage and vows don't give the rights to one another, love does. Let her go. Forcing her this way won't ever get you her love,"

Arjuna looks at his Madhav. Letting her go? Letting her go to other man's arms. His heart aches just by thinking about it.

The next day while everyone is having breakfast, Yudhisthira notices the too quiet atmosphere. Moreover Arjuna has returned as well.

"Panchali, when did you leave last night?" Yudhisthira whispers when she came serving him.

"Arya...Vrisha was feeling unwell. I returned to my chamber for him..." Draupadi lies.

Yudhisthira's face grows with concern, "Vrishaketu! Is he okay now? Did you call the Ved?"

"He is fine now..."

Draupadi's heart pains. He is too innocent. He didn't question or doubt that even after seeing Arjuna has returned and she left his chamber. He believed whatever she said to him. Lowering her gaze she quickly passes to serve the next person.