Chapter 187 : Five Villages

Draupadi jolts awake in her sleep at night when she feels her husband's strong arms around her waist and shoulder embracing her from behind.

"Bheema," Draupadi recognizes.

Bheema doesn't say anything only embraces her tighter. Draupadi is too tired for the day and thinks to herself she will ask about his sudden plan to hunt tomorrow.

She falls asleep again.

"Peace treaty? Why?" Nandini asks baffled.

"The strong must stay calm and conscious while punishing the weak, priye. We can't let the future generation question our agenda of war," Shrutasena answers while putting on his armlets.

"What will....you ask?" Nandini asks handing his Angavastram.

Shrutasena chuckles as the future of war flashes before his eyes. He almost feels pity for Duryodhana. That man is too filled with his ego to acknowledge his own doom.

Nandini looks at her husband longingly. A month has passed and he is busy tremendously. He left for Panchala the same night she entered his chamber. She didn't even meet him. He and his father are always discussing something. Too inaudible for others to hear. And two of them have secret talks with her father as well that noone knows.

"Ar...."

Nandini couldn't say anymore as Shrutasena exits the chamber.

Nandini sits on the bed longingly. The pain of being wife of a warrior.

"Peace treaty? After everything you are offering peace treaty? So the sacrifices are nothing?" Bheema's voice comes out heated.

Draupadi is sitting with a letter in her hand. It's from her father. Her sister Shikhandini has changed her gender to participate in the war. No one dared to tell her about Barbarika.

"Bhrata Bheema without sacrifices no war is fulfilled. War isn't a bed of roses. As a warrior these fear doesn't suit you," Krishna sternly reprimands him.

"Peace treaty...." Draupadi whispers, "Sakha, are we fighting for revenge? To fight for justice why must we offer peace? Are we the one to cause disturbance?"

"A strong must stay calm and conscious while punishing the weak, sakhi," Krishna says.

"Exactly the reason we gave them 16 years," Draupadi raises her brows.

Before Krishna could say something Sahadeva says, "Govind, if you permit, I want to be in the discussion. And of course if Jyesht permits me too."

Yudhisthira thinks for a time, "Only five villages and ask forgiveness from Panchali. That's what we wish."

Sahadeva and Shrutasena talks something through their eyes. A discussion happened in that time between them.

"Is...there no way...the war doesn't happen?" Yudhisthira speaks suddenly, "This war will bring such massacre I fear thinking. The soil will be red with people's blood for years, air will be filled with dead bodies smell. Krishna, is there really no way?"

"Jyesht Bhrata!" Bheema interrupts, "Is Panchali's...."

"Vrikoder," Yudhisthira's voice was different.

Yudhisthira looks at Draupadi and speaks, "Ask Panchali if her open hair can really hold the weight of so many dead men. Is war that simple? Weren't we always capable enough? Why didn't we ever step up? Only to avoid bloodshed."

Draupadi stands up from her seat. She leaves but noone understands if she left angrily or to think.

Sahadeva leaves shortly leaving their discussion half finished. He returns shortly though with some things.