XXXXI. ek din aap yun

vanraj :

I knew this was a losing game and I was probably being absolutely dumb.
But I did it anyways.

I looked into her eyes, I noticed moisture well up.
I immediately looked down.
Was she going to reject me again? I mean, I knew she would. She should. But.. why did I ever hope? Ugh.
Not again.
I inhaled deeply, mentally preparing myself.

I felt her feet on my knee. I stared at it.
And then I looked up, confused.

"Pehna dijiye.", She said softly.
I stared at her.
"You want me to.."
"Yes. Make me wear it.", She said, blinking off her tears. My mind stopped functioning. I could not think anymore as I made her wear the anklets, first on the right leg, and then the left.
And then I straightened up.

I stared at her, unfazed.
She smiled back warmly.

"Anu.. I.. You did not answer..", I mumbled awkwardly.
I felt like the same old nervous teenager, struggling to propose.
She took a step towards me, gently placing her hand on my heart.
"I let you put the anklets on my feet, Mister Shah..", She whispered, her gaze fixed into mine. Her eyes spoke, but I could not read now. Almost deafened by the sound of my wildly pacing heart, blinded by the tears that flooded into my eyes.

"So-so?", I asked, rather stammered.
Gosh, this was such a terrible emotional upheaval! I almost felt sick. If she did not give me clarity, I would just faint.
"I wish to marry you, Vanraj Shah.", She whispered.
She took my name, in affection, for the first time.

I was barely breathing now.
"I want your new name to be Mister Joshi.", Her lips broke into an amused smile.

I stared at her. My heart skipped a beat. Tears rolling down, blurring my vision.
This was real? It was happening? She was saying YES?
"Mister Shah? You are listening?", She asked, trying to pull me out of my trance.
But, there was no way, I could believe what I heard.
She.. she said yes? She wanted to marry me? Maybe this was a dream.

Suddenly I felt dizzy.
My head reeled as I simply clutched onto her, and everything went dark.

Jaisa socha nehi ab tak
Shayad kuch waisa hi kar jau mai
Dil teri hasrat liye zinda hai jaana
Shayad tere haasil pe marr jau mai

.

When I opened my eyes, I realised I was lying on a bed.
Obviously, I was delusional and was dreaming. Obviously. My spectacles were on the side table, I did not bother to wear them back.
I had dreamt of the same several times, different places, different ways - and I had always woken up on my bed.
I blinked to adjust to the dim lights of the room.
I sat up.

This was not my bed.
How did I end up in this random room?

"Oh don't worry, Baa. Your son is with me.. Safe and sound.", Anupamaa walked into the bedroom, and paused looking at me.
She wore the exact same saree that I had dreamt of.
"Okay, I will call you back in a while.", Saying so she hung up the call and walked down to me.
"Are you feeling okay? The doctor just left.. ", She said.

I stared at her.
"No.. I mean yes.. I am fine. How-how did I end up here?", I asked, holding my head.
She sat down, beside me on the bed.
"You don't remember anything?", She asked, a little taken aback.
"No.. I-"
I paused, as I noticed the anklets on her feet. The exact same that I had dreamt of.
What was even going on?

"I had a dream.. Where.. you said yes.", I mumbled, out of focus.
I looked up at her. She stared at me, perplexed.
"It was not a dream.. Mister Shah.", She said softly.
I smiled, obviously she was joking - wasn't she?
"Come on Anupamaa.. I know you would never say yes.. Obviously I was dreaming.. But.. how did I end up here?", I asked, driving off the dream from my mind and looking around.

She edged closer, placing a hand on my cheek.
She looked numb.

"It was not a dream.", She whispered.
"Why are you lying Anu? The doctor said? You don't have to do this.. I am fine. I know I have wronged you a lot.. You don't have to lie.", I said immediately, pretending to be completely normal.

She looked at me, teary eyed.