Chapter 31: One Step Closer

Third Person POV

Zixuan's thoughts swirled as he tried to make sense of the situation.

He observed Wuxian's weariness, the heaviness that seemed to weigh upon his shoulders.

The room fell into a somber silence, each moment stretching with unspoken questions.

Finally, Wuxian's voice broke the stillness, his words filled with a bittersweet resignation.

"I was," he repeated, his gaze fixed on a distant point beyond the room. "But things changed."

Wuxian chuckles bitterly before he spoke, " My heart longed for him, but the love I had for him... it couldn't be returned in the way I hoped," he confessed, his words heavy with regret.

Zixuan's heart sank as he grasped the magnitude of his brother's unspoken pain.

The room felt suffocating, the weight of unspoken words filling the air.

He found himself at a loss for words, unsure of how to console his younger brother.

Silence settled once again, the passage of time marking the steady thud of their hearts.

" A-xu," Zixuan began softly. He was about to speak out his opinion when suddenly they heard a knock from outside.

As a sense of irritation settled upon him, Wuxian let out a resigned sigh and rose from his bed.

Zixuan frown thinking who would it be.

Wuxian approached the entrance of his quarters, then he opened the door, revealing a Jin disciple standing on his doorstep.

Wuxian met the disciple's gaze, his expression cool and distant. "What is it?" he inquired, his voice laced with a hint of frost.

The disciple hesitated for a moment, feeling the weight of Wuxian's displeasure.

"Young Master, Sect Leader Jin requests your presence," the disciple finally managed to say, his voice laced with a mix of deference and trepidation.

"He wishes to see you in the Cinnabar Room."

Wuxian's eyes narrowed at the mention of his father's request.

Feeling a knot of apprehension tightening in his chest, Wuxian internally braced himself for what awaited him in the Cinnabar Room.

With a determined resolve, he nodded at the disciple.

"Tell Sect Leader Jin that I will meet him there," he replied, his voice steady despite the turmoil within.

The disciple bowed respectfully, acknowledging Wuxian's response.

"Yes, Young Master," he acknowledged before swiftly making his exit.

As the disciple's footsteps faded away, Wuxian returned to the solitude of his room.

The weight of his father's summons still lingered, casting a shadow of uncertainty over his thoughts.

He couldn't brush off the lingering apprehension that had settled within him.

With a resigned sigh, Wuxian turned to face Zixuan, his expression tinged with a mix of weariness and frustration.

"Father wants to talk to me," he revealed, the words falling from his lips laden with a mixture of resignation and trepidation.

Zixuan scoffed dismissively, his shoulders shrugging in a gesture of indifference.

"Probably just another task he wants you to fulfill," he remarked, his voice laced with a hint of bitterness.

A wry smile played upon Wuxian's lips as he nodded in agreement.