♔ PAGE 9 ♔

📜

"Jungkook?" I hear bang at the door again, which sends my heart into further tremors.

"Chocolate Boy, open the door—" Another unfamiliar voice sweetens the air, even as apprehension races through me. I release Lusi's face from the firm grip of my palm and stand her directly in front of me, though my hand was not on her shoulder still there is not great distance between us.

"Please go upstairs without making a sound, tread calmly as the wooden planks creak and might arouse suspicion among those outsiders." She nods to my words and gently ascends, while I brush my hair back to muster confidence and slowly approach the entrance to open it.

Upon opening the door, I'm met with the bewildered faces of perhaps five people staring intently at me, which I give an awkward smile to normalize the moment.

"Good morning?" I bow my head slightly.

"Is everything alright, Chocolate Boy?" they ask with a hint of concern, prompting me to stroke the hair at the back of my neck and grasp the door frame with my palm.

"Yes.?" Pretend to be confused.

"Well, we were just passing by and heard sudden door slam shut. We thought perhaps you were in trouble and came to check."

"Oh, I see. It's nothing really. I hadn't noticed you were passing by, otherwise, I wouldn't have shut the door so rudely in your face. Please forgive my impoliteness." I squint my eyes as I lie and bow my head slightly again, hoping they haven't detected my deceit.

"It's fine," one of them reassures me, patting my shoulder a few times before leaving with a soft chuckle, heading towards the fields as they are farmers up at dawn.

I close the main door again and lean against it, exhaling a long breath of relief, grateful that none of them suspected me. Looking ahead, I see Lusi peeking through the stairs; from this little high distance, it's impossible to notice anything but the side of her forehead. I frown in annoyance but then smooth out my expression.

"Come here." I gesture to Lusi, hiding my irritation, beckoning her to come downstairs, and I head to the kitchen corner to pour her water from a brass glass, which I fill from an earthen pot. At my signal, Lusi quietly takes a seat at the corner of my dining table, while I rummage through some jars for snacks and, fortunately, come across a few pieces of biscuit.

Since I initially didn't want to welcome Lusi but now that she has entered the house, it would be incredibly rude not to offer her anything, after all she is my master's daughter. I place a few irregularly shaped biscuits on a saucer, made with chocolate—I hope she might like them, although I'm not sure if she prefers brown sugar or not. Because I didn't .. I'm allergic on it.