Ch - 8 ° Hometown

The usual mornings always seem fresh, nice and begin the start of a new journey. But today, no one seemed to relate to this. Everyone in the estate just seemed to be too tired to entertain any of the patients today.

Shinobu woke up to the sound of whining by the patients and Aoi's scolding. She lazily walked to the mirror, looking at her weary expression. She splashed some water on her face and forced herself to get ready.

'I slept in my uniform? I don't remember going to the room either. I'll ask the others later.' Shinobu looked at her clothes and her hair.

She put on a new uniform, tidily combed her hair and tied it into her usual yakai-maki bun with her butterfly hairpin and put a bit of makeup to conceal her exhausted expression.

'Smile!' She lightly tapped her cheeks into her usual expression.

She headed downstairs only to see all three - Obanai, Mitsuri and Giyuu sitting at the dining table, having some tea.

"Good morning, everyone." Shinobu greeted them with a little wave.

"Shinobu-san! How're you doing? You were quite exhausted yesterday!" Mitsuri asked, her cheerful tone betraying her worn out expression.

"I think we all were. I can see you're tired. How's your ankle?" Shinobu pointed at her face.

"I think it's good. I'll be able to fight, I suppose." Mitsuri replied.

"How about you Tomioka-san?" Shinobu turned to look at him silently while having his tea.

"I'm good." Giyuu looked at Shinobu, who was directly staring into his eyes. All the attention had suddenly turned to him.

"I'll be leaving for my village this evening." Giyuu added.

"I know. Should we meet at our usual point?" Shinobu inquired.

"Are you sure you're coming? There's a critical patient in hand right now." Giyuu asked, looking at the busy hospital.

"Aoi can handle this. Consider it a training for her. She is a very good nurse and can manage it on her own. Kanao will accompany her as well. Are you, perhaps, trying to avoid me for this mission?" Shinobu narrowed her eyes at him like a detective interrogating a suspect.

"Not at all." He quickly responded with a little stammer as he averted his eyes from her, trying to avoid her sharp gaze off of him.

"Are you lying?" Shinobu moved a little closer to his face, trying to get a clear look on his face. Mitsuri could swear she saw Obanai trying to hold his laugh looking at the two.

The stone cold Water Pillar was getting all flustered and embarrassed. Quite a scene to watch, right?

"Breakfast is here!" Aoi entered the living room with four bowls of piping hot miso soup.

"Wahh! This smells amazing!" Mitsuri raved with a beaming smile.

"I'm not hungry. I'm very sorry for wasting your food." Obanai gestured his hand in rejection.

"It's alright. I'll give it to a patient." Aoi placed the bowl gently on the table and left.

While Mitsuri and Iguro chatted, Shinobu and Giyuu quietly had their food until Shinobu broke the awkward silence between them, trying to start a conversation.

"About the mission, are we going to travel by walking or by train?"

"It's not too far from here so I planned to go by myself. If you want, we could travel by train." Giyuu replied.

"No need. Trains are expensive anyways." Shinobu chuckled.

"I'll be here by 5, is it alright?" Giyuu asked to which Shinobu simply nodded.