Big Reputation

The first time they venture out in public in Kansas City, it's a bit of a circus, but in no way she ever imagined. Since she'll be at the game the next weekend, they decide to throw caution to the wind and have dinner at a tiny BBQ place he's been raving to her about.

"You have to go, Tay," he tells her emphatically. "Takeout doesn't do it justice."

She agrees. Besides, they have to test the waters at some point. Travis thinks the city will give her the same courtesy they give most famous people, especially the Chiefs. But she's been burned too many times to agree 100% so the security team follows closely behind.

They slip in early before the Tuesday dinner rush. The owner knows Travis and when he tells Lennie it's Taylor's first time, he claps his hands and says he's got it covered.

"We gotta get TK's girl the red carpet treatment," the older man exclaims, having no idea who she is. His enthusiasm makes her cheeks go pink and she smiles widely at her boyfriend.

"See?" he says, bumping her shoulder with his.

They sit in a corner booth to wait and she jokingly plays footsie with him.

"Excuse me," comes a voice. And Taylor wouldn't say she's disappointed at the interruption. Just resigned as she looks over at a young girl who has a hopeful expression on her face. "Mr. Travis, can I have your autograph?"

Oh. So maybe she misjudged that one.

"Of course!" he says, smiling and sending a wink in Taylor's direction. He takes the paper and signs, talking to the girl about how many games she's gone to.

"Kelly, let's let Mr. Kelce enjoy his dinner," says the girl's mom approaching the table. Taylor sees the woman's eyes widen slightly when she clocks Taylor. However, she simply smiles and nods as she ushers the girl away. "You two enjoy."

"Thank you!" Kelley yells, waving back at them.

Travis smirks at Taylor's wide eyes, "See, I told you."

"You said I'd be fine. You didn't tell me I'd be fighting off other ladies," she jokes.

He throws his head back laughing in the way that is quickly becoming one of her favorite things. Then from across the room comes a booming voice.

"Yo, Kelce! You gonna whoop them Bears this weekend?"

"You already know!" he calls back. And it continues with a couple more comments and handshakes from patrons.

Lennie drops their food before turning to the room, "Leave him be now. Can't you see he's trying to impress a girl? Don't want you all running her off 'cause he's mobbed."

Travis's face goes red and he mumbles "Thanks, Len." Taylor smiles in awe at him.

"Oh my god. You're big time, Trav!" she says, delighted. She is aware that people know him and that he's at the top in the sports world. But seeing it in action. She's...well she's not sure what. She kind of loves it.

"It's not always like this," he replies, forehead furrowing as he frowns.

"Hey," she answers, kicking at his foot under the table. "I'm never going to say a peep about it. Frankly, I feel better. You'll understand. No one really ever does."

He takes a bite, looking at her thoughtfully before saying, "I mean it's definitely not the same level, but yeah, it comes with the territory." He shrugs, "We'll deal with it, Tay."

She knows he means more than just his celebrity or even hers. He's being honest too. And while it will be all kinds of more outside of Kansas City, just his understanding to some degree helps her relax a bit more at all that is to come as they let the public in on their relationship.

"We will," she agrees.

She digs into her BBQ, the sweet tang of the sauce unlike anything she's ever had.

"Oh my god, Trav."

"I told you," he remarks smugly.

"I'm never leaving," she says dancing happily in her seat as she takes another bite. His eyes go soft at her words. And though they both know she means the food. They also know she means more than that too.

"I'll hold you to that," he murmurs.

She feels bold from how he's looking at her and the feelings running between them.

"Lennie!" she calls out across the room. "This the best thing I've ever had!"

Eyes turn to her and people smile at her words but soon return to their own food.

"I told you, my girl. Only the best for our guy's lady. Got to keep you around."

"Oh, I think we will, Len," Travis replies, reaching across for her hand.

She squeezes his hand tight, three times. "Definitely."