In My Heart

There were several newborn beds, but only four were occupied. The two men scanned the names and their eyes fell upon a sleeping baby girl in her pink hat and booties. Howie instantly smiled as he pointed at her. "She's so tiny."

A nurse peaked her head from inside and smiled. "You must be daddy Dorough. Would you like to come in?"

He instantly looked over at AJ and then followed the older lady inside where he got dressed to walk into the nursery. Right away he remembered Millie and pain seared through his chest. He realized that that exact pain would hit him every time that he thought of her, for a very long time.

The friendly nurse came back with a tiny bundle in her hands and placed it carefully into Howie's arms. He was nervous, but didn't say a word. He just stared at the tiny baby cradled in his arms. Her eyes lazily opened and she twisted her tiny mouth into a pout. "She looks just like her mother. Hi Mila!" his voice cracked. "I'm not sure how to do this...but I promise I will try my best to take care of you."

He brushed his lips against her forehead and then scooped her up so that AJ could see from outside. "That's your uncle AJ. He already loves you just as much as I do. He's going to help us get through all this baby girl. We'll get through this."

                                                                       ~~Three months later~~

"Come on baby spit it out...you can do it!" Rachel yelled at AJ that was trying his hardest to adjust the seed in his mouth. He wanted to win this seed spitting contest just as bad as Lucy and the chubby kid next to him did.

Howie couldn't help laughing at his best friend looking like a dork with his cheeks puffed up ready to spit out the seed and his watermelon shaped hat over his head. AJ pouted and blew out the seed, but it only fell a couple of inches away. He huffed like a child and gave the kid a 'don't mess with me' look. "Next year kid!"

"I almost had it!" Lucy teased AJ as she took a hold Elijah's hand. He was fumbling all over the place, since he'd just begun walking. "He started walking last week...look at him." She praised her little boy as she helped him take his steps. 

"Millie would be so proud of you guys!" Howie reassured the young woman as she scooped Elijah into her arms. 

"Yeah!" She semi-smiled and then smacked AJ on the arm. "Hey we can't leave without joining the auction!" 

"That's right...we still have to buy a watermelon. You know the auction."

Rachel and Howie both groaned at the twosome. They knew just how much AJ loved to shop, they just didn't imagine he'd be interested in watermelons. He grabbed the twosome and they started for the tent where the auction was taking place. Music played in the background and Howie's stomach somersaulted as he heard the Taylor Swift song blaring through the speakers.

He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar...

The pang returned to Howie's chest, but by now he knew how to control it. He knew that there would always be something or someone that would remind him of her. That the pain of losing her would never go away.

"Mr. Dorough, I've been looking all over for you. I was delighted when my momma said you were here. It's been a long time." The man was smiling and at the same time he was frowning. "I heard about your girlfriend. She was a sweet young woman, but I see she left you a little gift." The man stared at the sleeping baby.

Howie looked down at his chest as if he didn't know what the man was looking at. "Oh...yeah. This is Mila."

The man patted him on the back, "I knew you guys were in love the first time I saw ya. No matter how bent out of shape you were, you two were smiling bright around each other. Anyways, I just approached you to thank you for coming back down to the Watermelon Thump and spreading the word. We are excited to have you guys performing tomorrow night."

"It's the least I could do. You guys all welcomed Millie and I." The baby let out a cry and started wiggling about in her baby kangaroo. "I'm sorry she must be tired."

"I'm really sorry for your loss. I won't hold you and baby Mila up anymore. I just...well we take pictures every year and when momma said you checked in I just had to find this picture. I thought you would like it." The man handed over the picture, "I'll see you around Mr. Dorough."

Howie took a look and smiled. Both their eyes were closed and their lips were touching. Someone had caught them in mid-kiss. The knot grew so big in his throat, that it was almost impossible for him to swallow it down, but he did. Millie was gone...but she'd always live in his heart.

"Come on Mila, let's help uncle AJ pick a good watermelon."

                                                                                     THE END