Chapter 7

Gabriel takes me back to the car, and then gets inside and starts the engine without a word.

- Hey, why did we rush out of there like that. We didn't even wait for Ace, I say. Gabriel ignores my question and begins driving down the road.

- That woman shook him up more than I expected. But why. Come to think of it, Giulia implied an insult toward Gabriel. Perhaps that hit too close to home, I say in my head.

- Um. That woman was pretty rude, but she has no idea what your circumstances are like. What's right for one person isn't always right for someone else, I say. He glances at me, but says nothing. If anything, he seems confused.

- Are you alright, I ask. His jaw clenches, but he says nothing.

- Gabriel, please, talk to me. What's this all about, I ask.

- It's none of your business, Gabriel says. That short, clipped response is the only thing he says to me for the rest of the drive.

Dinner is an equally silent affair. The moment Gabriel finishes his meal, he leaves the dining room without a word.

- Why is this bothering me so much. It's not like I'm really his fiancée. We're not even friends. Yet, Gabriel not talking to me at all hurts, I say in my head.

- Hey, Ace says. Ace walks in with a pained smile.

- Gabriel giving you the cold shoulder, Ace asks.

- He's barely spoken to me since we left the racing circuit, I say.

- Don't worry, he'll come around. He's not mad at you, anyway, Ace says.

- Who is he mad at, then. Do you know what this is all about, I ask. Ace looks away, rubbing the back of his neck.

- It's not my place to talk about it. I'm sure he'll tell you when he's ready, Ace says.

That night, I stare up at the ceiling.

- Giulia. Angelo. They're connected somehow. Could she be his daughter. If so, Maybe she's part of Angelo's efforts to destabilize Gabriel's control of the family, I say in my head. These thoughts fill my head as I toss and turn all night.

In the morning, I seek out Gabriel in hopes of talking to him about what happened. As I'm about to round the corner to the entrance hall, I hear him speaking to someone.

- But will you be alright. I know things haven't been easy for your family lately. If there's anything I can do, Gabriel says.

- Not to worry, boss. This job is already great enough. I'm able to put food on the table and pay for my wife's medical bills thanks to you, a gangster says.

- Right. Tell her and the boys I said hello, then. I'm praying that she gets better soon, Gabriel says.

- I appreciate it. I'll see you tomorrow morning, the gangster says. The man closes the door behind him, and Gabriel lets out a deep sigh.

Once I step around the corner, Gabriel straightens his posture.

- You're up early, Gabriel says.

- I just wanted to have a word with you, I say.

- That'll have to wait. I have business today, Gabriel says. He leaves, and I stare after him.

- His voice sounded off. Is something else going on, I ask in my head.

- You're worried about him, aren't you, Ace asks. I sigh and rub my head.

- I just can't help it, I say.