Chapter 12

- Tell me what happened, in detail, Gabriel says.

- You know the deal the Rossi family was supposed to make today, Ace asks.

- Yes. We had an agreement with the police that they wouldn't interfere, Gabriel says.

- Well, they moved in and arrested everyone. Then they started reopening past cases that were swept under the rug and turning up the heat with media attention. They haven't moved directly against your family or mine yet, but the smaller ones are getting hit hard. It's a full-on gangbust, Ace says.

- So the police went back on their word, Gabriel says. His jaw clenches.

- Someone must have put them up to it, Gabriel says.

- Someone like Angelo, I ask.

- Most likely. He already has a good deal of influence over the police, so it would be simple enough for him to start pulling strings, Gabriel says. My stomach turns.

- If Angelo is making his move, that means he might go after me next, I say in my head.

- What do you wanna do, Ace asks.

- For now, I need to make some calls and look into some matters. You better make sure everything is alright with your family, Gabriel says.

- Alright, Ace says.

- What about me, I ask.

- You stay here, Kira. It'll be safer than anywhere else, Gabriel says.

I wait anxiously for the rest of the day. Unable to relax, I approach his office door to speak with him. However, I linger outside for a moment, hesitant.

- I know he doesn't want me getting involved in his business, but I can't stand waiting out here worrying, I say in my head. I knock.

- Who is it, Gabriel asks.

- It's me. Is everything alright, I ask. He's quiet for a long time, until.

- Come in, Gabriel says. My heart leaps, and I open the door.

When I enter, I find Gabriel sitting at his desk, polishing his guns. His stone-faced expression softens when he sees me.

- Were you worried, Gabriel asks.

- Yes, I say.

- Don't be. I'm going to handle the situation, Gabriel says.

- What are you going to do, I ask.

- For now, gather information, Gabriel says. My gaze goes to his revolvers.

- With those, I ask. He cocks the gun with a stern gaze.

- They'll try to destroy the family, and they'll probably go after you next. I won't let that happen. Too many lives and families are on the line, too many who rely on me, Gabriel says. I stare at him, surprised by his vehemence.

- I'll make sure they don't lay a finger on you, so stay here where it's safe while I'm gone, Gabriel says. My breath catches.

- You're leaving now, I ask.

- It's the only way. This might take a few days, depending on how long it goes, Gabriel says. Heart pounding, I stare up at him with uncertainty. He stands and walks around his desk to me. He reaches out and cups my cheek, and gazes into my eyes.

- Kira, Gabriel says.

- Yes, I ask.

- By that tearful look, I could almost say you'll miss me, Gabriel says. He smirks, but his voice is soft, and for a moment I think I misheard. I stare into his gleaming, golden eyes. I swallow hard, holding onto his cardling hand.