Chapter 11

Matteo's warning is still fresh in my mind the next morning.

- What am I going to do. What if Angelo and Giulia really are trying to kill me, I ask in my head. With a sigh, I get dressed for the day.

- Hello, Kira, Gabriel says. Gabriel is waiting for me when I reach the dining room. I stop in surprise when I see him. His hair is slightly ruffled, and my eyes are trained on the skin peeking from his unbuttoned robe.

- What, Gabriel asks. I realize I'm staring and look away with a blush.

- Nothing, I say. He raises one eyebrow, and then shrugs.

- As soon as you finish breakfast, we need to start making plans, Gabriel says.

- Regarding Angelo, or for the wedding, I ask.

- The wedding, of course. Why would I be talking about Angelo, Gabriel asks.

- Oh, I figure he had something to do with what happened at the festival, I say.

- You know, I don't want to discuss my business with you, Gabriel says.

- Except Angelo's plans might directly involve me, if what Matteo said is true, I say in my head.

- I'm afraid he will target me, I say.

- That's why you're staying here with me, isn't it, Gabriel asks.

- Yes, but I can't stay inside all the time. I keep thinking that he'll find a way to get at me, and, I say.

- I won't let anything happen to you, Gabriel says. His voice is strong and steady. I look up at him in surprise, and he quickly averts his gaze.

Once I finish breakfast, Gabriel and I sit down together with a large stack of books and documents. I eye the pile with surprise.

- Are all of those things for the ceremony, I ask in my head.

- The wedding is set for the end of this week, Gabriel says.

- What. That soon, I ask.

- Of course. We don't want to drag this out, Gabriel says.

- I suppose that's for the best, and it'll be safer for me too. But still, by the end of the week, I'll be married, I say in my head.

- The venue will be held at the old cathedral. Now for the decorations, what did you have in mind, Gabriel asks.

- Hmm, I imagine something. Dark and dramatic. Red roses would be great for the bouquet and centerpieces, I say.

- I figured you'd choose that. You'll need to pick a dress too. Price isn't a concern, so select something you'll be proud to wear, Gabriel says.

- The style of dress I want to wear is, I say in my head.

- I've always wanted to wear a ball gown, I say.

- I'd feel like a princess walking down the aisle, I say in my head.

- That would suit you well. I think I saw some similar styles in this magazine over here, Gabriel says. Gabriel pulls out a few wedding dress compilations, and we begin flipping through the pages. I can't help but imagine walking down the aisle toward Gabriel, but reality nudges itself back in.

- As soon as we get this over with, we'll be free of each other forever. So why do I feel this way, I ask in my head.

- Next, we'll need to respond to the caterers. They sent some samples of desserts they might prepare. Follow me, Gabriel says.