A dead man's son is an old man's disciple (1)

Min Myeong contracted a disease years ago when he joined the Southern Alliance. After the war with the Demon Cultivators, he and his son live normally in the mountains, unknown to everyone.

The disease was slow and painful, destroying his soul from the inside. Years passed and the disease worsened to the point where he was bedridden.

Whenever Min's son asked about the disease he shrugged and laughed at it.

In the present day, Min Myeong lay down on his bed looking at his son. He extends his hand trying to hold his son's hand.

"Jin, I don't have much time left. Take the money I've saved up and leave this mountain. Find a sect that can keep you."

Jin holds his father's hand, trying to suppress his emotions. He looked at his father's hand and tried to speak but no sound came out of his mouth.

Min Myeong smiled. "Don't worry, Jin, we'll always watch over you. Give honor to our name."

Jin holds his father's hand tight. "Father, don't worry I'll be strong and give honor to us."

Min Myeong laughed weakly. "I'm feeling tired..." Jin's father's grip slowly loosened, and his eyes closed gently.

Jin's tears welled up from his eyes as he held his father's hands.

Jin slowly covered his father with a blanket, sobbing quietly as he did.

The room fell into a heavy silence, broken only by Jin's quiet sobs. He stayed by his father's side for a while before walking up to a shovel.

He dug a hole behind their home. The shovel bites the earth with each thrust.

It took Jin 2 days before completely digging up the hole. He sighed in relief and put a towel in his nose as he entered his home. The interior was small consisting of only a small table and a bed.

Jin steadily dragged his father's body into the hole he dug. Lowering the body onto the ground he took a moment to look at his father before completely covering the grave.

"I will bring honor to our name, Father."

After he finished covering the grave he sat down beside it before marking the grave with a stone with his father's name engraved on it.

After a while, the sun began to rise. Jin watched as the light of dawn broke over the horizon. He stood up wiping his eyes.

Jin returned to his home and gathered his belongings. Jin looked around the room filled with memories he had with his father.

As he stepped out, Jin took one last look at his father's grave and began his descent down the mountain, moving through the forest with ease.

"I've been raised in these mountains, climbing it up and down is no problem for me."

He looked back at the mountain behind him. He sighed heavily. "Goodbye."

Jin stepped foot on the bustling streets. He looked around for a moment. "Man, I'm hungry."

His stomach growled.

"I haven't eaten in a while," Jin said, scanning the stalls lined up.

A noddle stall caught Jin's eye. He grabbed his sack of coins and slowly walked up to the stall, the scents of cooking filling the air around him.

"One bowl, please," Jin said, fishing out a few coins from the sack he was holding.

The vendor handed him a steaming bowl, and Jin found a quiet corner to sit and eat.

As he gulped down the noodles he asked, "are there any nearby sects here, mister?"

The vendor nodded. "Kongtong sect is close by, are you planning on joining a sect?"