Chapter 34

Keyn's Point of View >>>>>>>>>>>

My eyes widened as a flash from a camera flickered in my direction, momentarily blinding me. Panic surged through my veins. Quickly, I looked away and started to walk away, my mind racing.

"Fuck! Why did I forget to wear a mask? Ang tanga mo talaga kahit kailan, Kleah," I muttered under my breath, berating myself for such a careless mistake.

I quickened my pace, weaving through the throngs of people. Each step felt like it was being scrutinized, and paranoia crept in. My breathing became shallow as I forced myself to remain calm. The last thing I needed was to draw more attention.

I glanced over my shoulder, scanning the crowd for anyone who might have recognized me. Faces blurred together in my frantic state, and I couldn't tell if anyone was following me. The thought of being seen, of having my presence in Paris exposed, was terrifying.

My phone buzzed, pulling me out of my spiraling thoughts. I glanced at the screen and saw a notification: a reminder for a planned date with Aine.

A weak smile formed on my lips as I read it, realizing I had set this reminder five months ago for today, her birthday. The bittersweet memory of planning a special day for her flashed through my mind, momentarily lifting the heavy cloud of my current reality.

I rested my head against the headrest and closed my eyes, letting out a long sigh. "Happy birthday, Aine," I whispered to the empty car. "Miss na kita, sobra." My heart ached with the weight of my words and the distance that now separated us.

Hell knows how my heart longs to be with you again after enduring a month in hell, but I know now that you deserve a world free from the shadows I've cast. You deserve someone who brings light and joy into your life, at alam kong hindi ako 'yon.

The thought of Aine brought a mix of comfort and pain. She was the light in my life, the one person who made everything seem bearable. Her laughter, her warmth, her unwavering belief in me – these were the things that kept me going during the darkest times.

But now, I couldn't shake the feeling that being with me would only taint her life with suffering. I had to protect her from the chaos and danger that followed me, even if it meant staying away and letting my heart break a little more each day.

"I wish things were different," I murmured to myself, tears pricking at the corners of my eyes. "I wish I could be the person you deserve, Aine."

As I sat there, the silence of the car pressing in around me, I realized that my love for her was both my strength and my weakness. It was the force that drove me to keep going. But it was also the reason I had to keep my distance, to ensure that the darkness of my world didn't spill over into hers. The thought of Aine brought bittersweet comfort, reminding me of what I was fighting for, yet simultaneously highlighting the vast chasm that now separated us.

Ghad! It's been 7,884,008.64 seconds since the last time I held her. The precise calculation underscored my desperation and the relentless ticking of time that gnawed at my sanity.

With a heavy heart, I wiped away the tears and took a deep breath as I started the engine of my car. This is insane. I need to wipe this urge to go to her. The desire to rush back to her, to feel her warmth and hear her voice, was almost overwhelming, but I knew I had to resist. I couldn't afford to drag her into the chaos that had become my life.