Chapter 10

Joint Base Hickam-Pearl Harbor, Oahu, Hawaii.

Evening.

Zumwalt let out a long sigh as she held Laffey. They had just finished a meeting with Admiral Nimitz, General Maxwell, and the leaders of the newly arrived American Shipgirls Nevada, Enterprise, and Lexington. The meeting was about George and their future assignments.

It was decided that George would sail to Africa, which was at her own request. She thought it was better for their forces to be divided, as George had heard that Nazi Germany and Italy had air dominance. It was better if she alone took care of the Africa Campaign with the Task Force that was being assembled.

The woman she was referring to stood beside her, yawning quite widely. George glanced at Zumwalt. "Already adopted a child after a few days here, Z?"

"She's been clinging to me since we first met. I thought it would be nice to have a friend, so I let her." Zumwalt said while shaking her head.

"Interesting. Do you think I'll adopt one, too?" Asked George jokingly.

"Hmm? I thought you already did that with those RoC girls." Zumwalt said with bewilderment.

"Ah... Them... I'm still not sure. You know that their country in the future sunk me and killed a lot of my crew?" George's eyes darkened.

"The past is the past, George. We can change destiny in this world. Like making sure that the Republic of China doesn't become the People's Republic of China. We can bring change to this world, George!" Zumwalt said, trying to calm George down.

"I think you have a point, Z. Well... I think I can try to do it. What are your plans for the future?" Asked George, looking up at the sea of stars in the sky. For near urban areas, the night sky here was very beautiful.

"I don't know. Maybe I'll stay here and serve here." Zumwalt smiled softly while stroking the head of Laffey, who was still asleep.

"You have no intention of going home? Maybe this Siren can help us find our way home." George seemed a little displeased with Zumwalt's endgame plan.

"Even if we successfully return to our home world, George, what will happen to us? Do we stay human or revert to ship form? You are more valuable and valued by our government, George. I am not!" Zumwalt was now shouting.

George was silent and owned every word of Zumwalt. She realized that what Zumwalt was saying was true. What if she returned to her ship form in the Pacific Ocean? George was also a little sad and offended when she heard Zumwalt's words, but she knew that Zumwalt was right... What would the world say if two modern ships that had been rumored lost and sunk suddenly returned in human form? Chaos would surely ensue.

".... I'm sorry, Z... I completely forgot about you and only thought about myself." George said regretfully.

"It's okay... I also understand why you want to go back. Like I said, you are valuable, I'm not, simple as that." Zumwalt sighed harshly.

George decided to keep quiet after hearing that, she was really quite sorry for saying that to the only person who was her friend and knew her.

"...If you'll excuse me, Z, I want to visit Ping Hai and Ning Hai." George said quietly.

"Go ahead, I apologize too if I yelled at you earlier, I don't seem to be getting enough sleep." Zumwalt smiled wryly.

"No, I should be the one apologizing... We keep apologizing huh." George scratched the back of her head.

"Hahaha Yeah... See you George." Zumwalt walked away while carrying Laffey.

George looked at Zumwalt before finally leaving for the hospital. At least their feud had ended here.