40

There was a hallway that extended at the end of the rowdy room, the lights dank and the space tight. The painted walls were cracked and peeling, replicating the theme of the underground organization. Down that hall were multiple rooms on either side. You and Ginjirou were in the second room to the right. The room was dark and had no switch, so the only light that kept the shadows at bay were from the hallway. It was difficult to see anything, but this room was the closest thing to privacy here.

It was a simple room, with an old, tattered cot and a counter filled with first aid supplies. Sitting there on the hard mattress, you tended to his wounds. He was still shirtless, his chest rising and falling in rhythm. He was breathing heavily, currently stuck on a euphoric high from the recent activity. Grinning from ear to ear, he couldn't keep himself from rambling about every moment of the battle. "The way he just grabbed me! I was so fucking surprised. What an interesting fighter to go against. It was so unpredictable--"

You roughly jabbed the soaked towel onto his wound, your teeth gritted.

"Ow!" he howled, flinching from your touch and shooting you an incredulous look. "Can you be a bit gentler?"

"You wouldn't have to go through something like this in the first place if you hadn't been reckless back there."

"Was I... reckless?" He seemed genuinely confused by your statement. You couldn't believe what you were hearing. Had he been that blind sighted up on that stage, losing all sense of rationality during those few minutes? It was as if he was playing a game, with his life on the line as if it did not matter much. All he could focus on was the experience in front of him, and to take as many risks as he could. The cold towel was pressed even harder onto his cut. "Yow! Stop doing that! You're plain evil!"

Narrowed eyes shot daggers at him and you were seething. "​​​​​​Were you reckless?! You're seriously asking that question. You were beyond reckless. Do you even understand how dangerous things could've gotten? There are bad people in this world -- there always will be. These people won't show you the same mercy you show them. And it looks to me like there are no restrictions here to stop anyone from severely injuring the other. If something were to happen to you, what are you going to do then? It's naïve of you to assume you can beat everyone."

A flash of disappointment colored his eyes and he shrunk back, the cloud of bliss from earlier fading into nothingness. "I thought you would understand," he mumbled. Those words stung you, and guilt suddenly poured into your system. Your fingers faltered from cleaning his wound, hovering in the air in shameful hesitation. He leaned his head on the wall and stared at the ceiling in a distant manner. "I don't mean this in a conceiting way at all, but... no one at school can give me a challenge anymore. It has made my life repetitive and boring, which was why I sought out street fighting. To go against strangers I've never met before, who also come from diverse backgrounds and have their own stories to share, it improved my skills even more. I enjoy the risk; I can't help it. This feeling that's inside me... that yearns and will never stop yearning. It's made my life all the more purposeful. It makes me feel like I have control over my life for once."

Clenching at the fabrics of your uniform in regret, you thought back to before the fight. You were a hypocrite for acting all supportive at the beginning. He had planted his trust in you to stay non-judgmental to his choice, but here you were, chastising him left and right. "You're right. I'm sorry," you said, sighing. Your head hung low, [h/c] hair covering your features. "I have no room to tell you what to do. I'm sorry for doubting you and thinking up of worst-case scenarios like that."

As you were about to finally pull away, he latched a warm hand around your wrist. You looked into his eyes, noticing that his regular shine was returning. He sure bounced back quick. "Don't be sorry. If anything, I... like that you worry for me. I'll make sure to be more careful from now on, okay? I was being too cocky, huh."