08

ELISE  sat on the edge of her bed, gingerly pressing a bandage over the fresh bruise on her arm. The sting was a sharp reminder of her father's outburst the night before. She took a deep breath, grabbed a cigarette from her nightstand, and lit it. The smoke filled her lungs, and she exhaled slowly, trying to push away the turmoil inside her.

A few minutes later, she walked into the living room and found her dad sprawled on the couch, snoring loudly. Her face twisted in disgust as she took in the sight. Without a word, she grabbed her bag and headed for the front door. Just as she stepped outside, a newspaper hit her in the face.

"Sorry!" yelled the paperboy. She recognized him from before and rolled her eyes, brushing off the paper.

As she walked along the sidewalk, she noticed a familiar bike pulling up beside her. Billy smiled and offered her a ride to school. She hesitated for a moment but then accepted, climbing onto the back of his bike. The wind rushed past her as they sped down the street, a brief moment of freedom.

When they arrived at school, Elise hopped off and gave Billy a quick hug. "Thanks, Billy. You're a good kid," she said, before heading inside.

The school hallways were empty as she walked to her locker. She punched in the code and stashed her stuff inside before making her way to her first class, the one she shared with Gwen. As she entered, she heard a few giggles from some of the other students but ignored them, focusing on getting to her seat next to Gwen.

Gwen leaned over and whispered, "Robin's been worried about you."

Elise brushed it off with a shrug. "It's nothing," she muttered.

A few minutes later, Gwen asked, "Can we hang out at your place later?"

Elise felt a surge of panic. "Uh, no. I mean, it's not a good time," she stammered.

Gwen raised an eyebrow but didn't press further. "Okay," she said, her tone slightly suspicious.

The rest of the day passed in a blur. During a break, Elise bumped into Robin. They exchanged awkward greetings, standing in silence for a moment. "i think i'm gonna go.." Robin informed her. "yeah me too.." They both said  before heading in different directions. The encounter left her feeling unsettled.

Later, Elise met up with Gwen and Finney. She recounted the awkward run-in with Robin, trying to sound nonchalant. Gwen smirked and teased her, "Maybe you like him more than you think."

Elise rolled her eyes. "Please, I would never like anyone, let alone Robin."

Gwen grinned and replied sarcastically, "Sure, Elise. Whatever you say."

As the day drew to a close, Elise couldn't shake the feeling that her friends were starting to see through her facade. She knew she couldn't keep her home life a secret forever. but it was whatever, she brushed it off.