CHAPTER 29

I dragged my body to my car, my heart was too heavy to leave her in that way. With no answers whatsoever just a mere declaration of love. I drove off with guilt nibbling on my my mind.

Zama will have to forgive me.

I went to work and requested a to leave at two o'clock. I sacrificed my lunch break but I knew it would be worth the wait. I parked at Sol Plaatjie Primary School and patiently waited for that brat to come out. I waited right next to the gate with the scorching heat punishing me for my actions in advance. A little boy clad in green and yellow uniform walks past me with his eyes wandering around. The initial driver was taken car of by Buka. I just needed to look nice enough to not be suspected for kidnapping. I knelt down with a little smile on my face. Not too little to seem fake and not too much to seem creepy.

"Hi my name is Nkosana your father sent me to fetch you. Your driver, Kwanele, is a bit sick so that's why I'm here. Are you okay with that?"

"No" the little devils said

"We can call your father if you're unsure. I would totally understand"

"No"

"Then what do you suggest we do"

"Nothing"

The little cannot say a single word that does not have an 'n' and 'o' on it.

"We can buy some food and sweets and some sweets but you have to promise to not tell your father or else I'll get in trouble for not taking you home on time." I lied and the idiot's eyes brightened at that thought.

I pray my children do not become this stupid.

I smiled and walked him to my car. And put on some music as we drove while a kept him laughing with all my fake childhood stories. I also told him how his father and I met at school when we were eight. We stopped by a small supermarket to buy whatever he wanted.

I took a route that I knew was abandoned and pretended as if the car could no longer take us to our destination.

"Damn it the car is out of petrol." I grunted with fake frustration. Streaks of panick shone in his eyes and I had to assure him that everything was going to be fine.

"Let me notify your father so that we can get another to take you home. We can play games while we wait." I tried to convince him.

We sat at the backseat played car racing games. I also downloaded a spelling bee game to boost his disappointing IQ level. We there for about two hours. I wanted to get Fika worried. It was was half past four and I planned to take him back home at six o'clock. A car stopped by and a message was sent from Vuks. I opened the door and let him out. The most tricky part was convincing him to get into the other car without me. The boy had started trusting me but I really needed to get to work.

I ended up giving him a damn hug and a pinky promise. Not so long ago I wanted to kill his father. That family should really thank Zama for saving their bloodline. I was planning to kill anything related to a Cele, be it cat, dog or nanny. I didn't give two shifts. Mvelase, who was the driver, gave me an envelope with a few pictures of Musa and I. Musa, by the way, was Fika's child. I just did not think he was deserving enough to be called by name given his stupidity and his ability to completely trust a stranger. The child was nine, he is basically old enough to kill and he chooses to ignore stranger danger because of junk food. I had recently sent pictures to Vuks to print just to piss Fika off.

I took a pen and wrote on the envelope 'two can play that game' before instructing Musa to personally give it to his father. I shoved him in the car and waved him goodbye as the car drive off. Finally, a breathe of fresh air. My cheeks hurt from perpetually smiling. I got into my car and drove straight to work. I already sorted my supervisor out with a little payment.  I shall be eternally grateful to whoever introduced the concept of money. Where would corruption and I be if not for them.