Prologue

I said, "I love you."

You said nothing back.

One.

Two.

Three.

Three seconds of silence felt like an hour. I waited for you to break it, but when you did, that pair of eyes-that once filled with stars whenever it met mine-now became edges of daggers pointing at me, dipped in dismay and disgust. With a wince, you turned away, stabbing each butterfly from the swarm in my stomach... one-by-one. You turned your back at me, watching you take every step away from where I stood, to leave me hanging all by myself and with the heart that has just shattered. I have always wanted this moment so picturesque, just like all the movies I've watched. But I guess, from now on, I'll have to start accepting the fact that this place I once dedicated to us-now becomes a memory I'll start to despise recalling.

As he walked back to his car, I didn't feel my arm raising until I saw it reaching him from afar, as if I could let out a force to bring him back and draw closer to me. My lips were shaking, and I finally whispered another three words in the breeze of cold, salt air.

"Please, don't go."

Those which I mouthed in the silence echoed so loud in every corner of my mind, until it weakened my knees and fell onto the sandy shore. I looked up to the skies, so purple and pink-how it contrasts to how he made my heart feel burning red to pale blue-then to darkest gray.

In silence, I screamed so loud, but you heard nothing.

You didn't look back.

You never looked back.

I guess, the only thing he could only hear is the beating of someone else's heart, and that will never be mine.