Blindfolded

Stop reading........please vote and continue reading..........

Josh waited outside her dorm, clad in a black sweater and white jeans. When Shivi walked out in a knee-length georgette deep blue dress with transparent stockings, her hair tied up in a ponytail, Josh smiled warmly. He then playfully bent down, covering his face, and closing his eyes with his fingers.

" So, I look that bad, huh?" Shivi remarked, a playful expression on her face.

"Babe, you look really beautiful, and I wouldn't mind taking you to my mom in this dress. But it's inappropriate for the place where we are going," Josh replied with a grin.

"That's because you refused to tell me where we are going," Shivi retorted.

"Guilty. Now, let's walk back to the room and get this sorted," Josh suggested.

They both walked back to the room, and he took out a full-hand white T-shirt, blue jeans, and a light blue sweater.

"Do you have a thicker jacket?" Josh inquired, raising Shivi's eyebrows in curiosity. She shook her head, indicating no.

He went to Ruth's cupboard and grabbed a white coat.

"No, we can't take it without asking her," Shivi protested.

"Honey, we have a flight in an hour. We don't have time to shop. Ruth is my sister. And don't you share dresses with your sister?" Josh quizzed. Josh cursed himself as soon as he said that.

Shivi's face had a grim expression upon hearing "sister." The eyes that were dancing with joy till then settled for an unsaid sadness.

Josh knew he had pressed the wrong button "Sorry, I dint..."

"I know it's not your fault that my family is like this. I have never shared a piece of clothing with my sister, who has refused even to share her phone number," she gestured her hand in grief.

Josh just hugged her, realizing how vulnerable she was when it came to her family. He felt sorry for her, more for his action that had reminded her of everything.

"Change and come down. I must make an urgent call.," Josh instructed.

Shivi nodded in silence. She walked towards the car again. However, the twinkle in her eyes that was there the first time she walked was missing. Josh was still on that call, and she overheard him saying, "Yes, tomorrow. All three of them. Yes, don't call me; just leave a message when done. Thank you."

Shivi faked a smile as Josh started to drive.

Josh tried to pick his words carefully and he pushed for details, "I didn't want to hurt you by asking you this, but now that I have already opened the wounds, I don't think there is a better time to ask. Did your family talk to you after that day?"

Shivi shook her head and said in a pained voice, "I am dead to them, remember?"

Josh shrugged. Shivi gave a fake smile again and, resting her head on his shoulder, spoke again, "It's okay. I have made peace with them. Now that I am with you, I know I am not worthless as they always made me feel. I have understood that being around people who make me feel like I am walking on eggshells is not worth my peace. I have not moved on from them; I have just moved on from the version of myself that gave them dominance over me. I do not long for them to reciprocate my affection anymore because God has bestowed me with something even more beautiful. In fact, I was just living life until then, but after I met you, I am just loving my life. I am able to love myself for the very first time. All thanks to you."

Josh's lips formed a gentle smile as he remarked, "I can see it. You've stopped biting your nails, you're no longer fidgety, and you appear far less flustered. You exude calmness, and you're wearing more smiles. I must admit, I'm truly fond of this new version of you."